Among the most common canine parasites can be noted fleas. These bloodsucking insects can not only deliver unpleasant feelings to the pet, but also have a detrimental effect on his health. Biting the animal, the flea inflicts pain on him, but what is much more terrible is the saliva of the parasites, which is the breeding ground for the causative agents of the most serious infections. Before the owners of dogs there is a paramount task - to protect your pet from infection with ticks ( ear , subcutaneous ), or to try, as soon as possible to identify them and save the animal from unpleasant and dangerous "neighbors".
- Как собаки заражаются блохами 1. How do dogs become infected with fleas?
- Опасность блошиных укусов 2. The dangers of flea bites
- Как узнать, что у собаки есть блохи 3. How to find out that a dog has fleas
- Как выводить блох у собаки 4. How to remove fleas from a dog
- Спреи от блох для собак 5. Sprays for fleas for dogs
- Капли от блох для собак 6. Drops from fleas for dogs
- Специальные шампуни от блох для собак 7. Special flea shampoos for dogs
- Инсектицидные ошейники 8. Insecticidal Collars
- Жевательные таблетки от блох для собак 9. Chewing pills for fleas for dogs
- Народные способы устранения блох 10. Folk remedies for fleas
- Профилактические меры 11. Preventive measures
How dogs are infected with fleas
Some owners of dogs are sure that their pet, who lives in the apartment, will not become infected with parasites, however, there are risks of infection even in those dogs that cope with the need for a tray.
It is worth considering any methods that fleas use to get on the skin of animals:
- Contact with an infected animal - if the yard dog itches, often and violently bites itself, biting into the coat, then, most likely, it has parasites. Did the pet communicate with such a dog? Hence, it is necessary to carefully inspect his coat immediately after a walk .
- Fleas can get on the dogs from the grass - if the animal "practically teems" with fleas, some of them remain on the ground in the place where the dog was walking. Fleas are quite tenacious insects and can wait for a long time their future victim, scrambling on the grass. Parasitic bloodsuckers jump very well, especially if we take into account their small size - by 30-33 cm in height and up to 20 cm in length, so it's easy enough to get to the dog's fur.
- Not only adults of parasites are dangerous, but also their larvae. They can fall from the infected dog anywhere - on the grass, roads, into fallen leaves, to the ground, etc. Often flea eggs penetrate into the dwelling together with shoes, adhering to the shoe soles and even clothing. And this is a threat to dogs that do not go out on the street, or there are very rare.
Given all of the above, we can say that anyone can catch fleas, even the most domestic pet.
It is also worth noting that having cured a dog from bloodsucking parasites, there are risks of re-infection, since fleas, their eggs or pupae can be preserved in the animal's habitat - in a box, on a litter , in a basket or in a stove. They can also penetrate into furniture and carpeting. Therefore, all the things with which the sick dog contacted, also require cleaning and treatment with disinfectants.
The dangers of flea bites
Fleas definitely deliver discomfort and pain to animals, but this is not their greatest danger. What can you expect from these little bloodsuckers? The main troubles that can arise from fleas are as follows:
- They can, together with blood particles, transfer all the diseases of the previous animal, on which the parasites lived. Typhus, plague , tularemia are just a few names of severe ailments that can infect a flea.
- The saliva of fleas causes irritation and itching of the skin in places of bite. The dog, rending its claws and teeth with a skin that itches, provokes repeated infections of the wound, the development of dermatological diseases and allergic manifestations .
- Fleas can act as an intermediate host for cucumber chains - causative agents of dipilidiosis and some species of worms .
- Weakened, elderly animals and small puppies on the background of infection with fleas can severely deplete the body or develop anemia .
Owners need to closely monitor pets and promptly remove fleas so that no complications arise. And for this it is necessary to know the signs of this phenomenon.
How to find out that a dog has fleas
Quite often, the owner of the pet finds infection with insects only when they are already in abundance divorced on the animal and cause significant damage to his health. To prevent this, you must carefully monitor the pet, and the following behavior should alarm the owner:
- the dog sleeps restlessly, constantly changing the place for rest;
- The pet, being in a quiet state, can suddenly jump up;
- he often arches his back and freezes in this position for a few seconds;
- An animal gnaws at its skin, while one can hear teeth clicking;
- there is a certain chespoka very quickly and furiously itching, and this behavior is not like ordinary scratching.
If you suspect a flea infection, you need to examine the skin of the pet. If the skin shows up inflamed patches, points of dried blood, it means that the pet has got these parasitic insects.
If the dog has a tendency to allergies, or if it has sensitive skin, a rash of reddish color may appear on the background of flea bites. Most often it is located in the abdomen, inside the thighs, on the withers, behind the auricles. Also, when the pet is allergic, tearing out of the corners of the eyes is intensified, hair loss is possible. Bites eventually catch up.
With a severe degree of lesion, the dog forms bald patches on the withers, croup and around the base of the tail. If the dog is not treated in a timely manner, it can completely lose the hair, and a fatal outcome due to secondary infection is also possible.
How to remove fleas from a dog
The following actions are very important:
- the litter of the animal must be discarded, or, if possible, subjected to boiling;
- to treat all fleas in the apartment where the sick animal was;
- Vacuum the floor, and if the bag vacuum cleaner - destroy the dust container.
If the pet is prone to allergies, it is better to seek the advice of a veterinarian, who will prescribe a safe treatment that does not cause complications.
The veterinarian may prescribe the following anti-blockade drugs:
- in the form of a spray;
- Washing gels and shampoos ;
- insecticidal collars;
- tablets for chewing;
- popular recipes.
Discovering parasites, do not panic and get scared, because this problem is completely solved. It is worth choosing the right tool and following the instructions:
Sprays for fleas for dogs
The drug is sprayed throughout the coat. In a sense, it is not the most convenient remedy for fleas in dogs, because:
- can fall into the animal's eyes;
- high risk of licking funds;
- after the treatment, it is impossible to touch the dog;
- if the pet is used to sleeping in the owners' bed, then after spraying it can not be allowed to enter;
- The procedure should be carried out in gloves in a well-ventilated room, or even better - in the fresh air;
- this is very difficult to dose, so it is possible to exceed the required level.
The most popular are the following flea sprays - Front Line, Bars, Gett, Hartz, Noroklin Extra, Bearhar.
Drops from fleas for dogs
It is a liquid that is applied to the withers of an animal. The active component of the drops absorbs into the upper layer of the skin, repels and eliminates parasites. Against fleas it acts instantly, copes with other parasitic insects after a while.
The resources of this group are powerful enough and can completely rid the pet of fleas. Among the most effective brands are the following: Stronghold, Bars, Advantage (for dogs of small breeds), Advantix.
The funds have a number of contraindications, which should be read before use.
Special flea shampoos for dogs
They are not very effective, since they do not completely rid the animals of parasites, only reducing their number. Shampoos can be used if the dog has very few "guests."
It is necessary to moisten the wool with warm water, apply the product and wait for the specified time, most often 5-10 minutes. After shampoo is recommended to wash off, and pet hair carefully combed with a brush with frequent prongs to remove dead or paralyzed insects.
A good effect is the shampoo Dr. Zoo, Leonardo, Purity, Beafar.
Do not apply to medicines. Among the shortcomings can be noted the following:
- Are a toxic remedy.
- Some can not be used for puppies younger than six months and older animals.
- Contraindicated for pets with diseases of the kidneys, liver, neurological pathologies.
- Able to provoke dermatological diseases, allergic reactions.
You need to choose carefully. There are special collars that can be used for puppies, pregnant and lactating bitches. Such a line is among the means of the brand Beaphar.
The collar is put on the dog's neck and the protection lasts for three to six months. It is not only a remedy for flea treatment, but also a preventative. Drugs that have proven themselves: Beaphar, Doctor Zoo, Purity, Bolfo, Bars.
Chewable flea pills for dogs
This is the least popular tool, although very simple to use. The pet is treated with a pill, which is to the taste of a real treat, after a while the procedure is repeated. It is possible to use from 2 months old.
These drugs are produced by well-known manufacturers: Frontline, Capstar, Bravecto, Comfortis. In addition to pharmacy products, there are also home methods of getting rid of fleas with the use of folk recipes.
Folk remedies for fleas
In this segment you can find out how the safest methods of eliminating parasites, and not very much:
- Combing insects with a comb with frequent prongs is the most harmless way for an animal and is the most time-consuming for the owner, it will not be possible to manage one procedure.
- Washing your pet with tar soap - this way can replace the use of special shampoos. But with frequent application can lead to dry skin.
- Applying wormwood - decoction of grass, wash the floor and other surfaces, lay out linen bags with dried wormwood. In the wool of the dog it rubs. For the same purposes, you can use tansy.
- If the dog lives in the booth, then it is better to use sawdust as a bedding.
- Purity - a vine-infested plant is used as drops on the withers, but not more than three drops, since the celandine is very toxic.
- Garlic - a powerful antiparasitic agent that eliminates not only fleas, but also worms, and other parasites. Chopped garlic, filled with steep boiling water and filtered, is used to treat the coat, but very carefully, so that the dog could not lick it. Garlic can be added to the pet in small quantities.
Of course, it is easier to prevent infection than to fight with it, so you should monitor the cleanliness of the housing, regularly perform a wet cleaning.
The dog is recommended to inspect, especially in the spring-summer period. At the same time, it is better to use a special anti-block collar. Care should be taken to ensure that the animal does not have contact with unfamiliar dogs.
Completely protect the dog from fleas is unrealistic, but it is possible to reduce the risks of infection.