Among the most common canine parasites are fleas. These blood-sucking insects can not only deliver discomfort to the pet, but also have a detrimental effect on his health. Biting an animal, a flea causes him pain, but what is much worse is the saliva of parasites, which is a breeding ground for the causative agents of the most serious infections. Owners of dogs are faced with the primary task - to protect their pet from tick infestation ( otic , subcutaneous ), or to try to identify them as soon as possible and save the animal from unpleasant and dangerous "neighbors."
- Как собаки заражаются блохами 1. How dogs become infected with fleas
- Опасность блошиных укусов 2. The danger of flea bites
- Как узнать, что у собаки есть блохи 3. How to find out that a dog has fleas
- Как выводить блох у собаки 4. How to remove fleas in a dog
- Спреи от блох для собак 5. Flea Sprays for Dogs
- Капли от блох для собак 6. Drops from fleas for dogs
- Специальные шампуни от блох для собак 7. Special flea shampoo for dogs
- Инсектицидные ошейники 8. Insecticidal collars
- Жевательные таблетки от блох для собак 9. Flea Chewable Tablets for Dogs
- Народные способы устранения блох 10. Folk ways to eliminate fleas
- Профилактические меры 11. Preventive measures
How dogs get infected with fleas
Some owners of dogs are sure that their pet living in an apartment will not become infected with parasites, however, even those dogs who are in need of a tray have the risk of infection.
It is worth considering any methods that use fleas to get on the skin of animals:
- Contact with an infected animal - if the yard dog itches, often and violently bites itself, biting into the fur, then, most likely, it has parasites. Pet talked with such a dog? So, it is necessary immediately after walking to carefully inspect his wool.
- Fleas can get on dogs from the grass - if the animal is “practically full of” fleas, some of them remain on the ground in the place where the dog was walking. Fleas are quite tenacious insects and can wait for a long time for their future prey by climbing grass. Bloodsucking parasites jump very well, especially if you take into account their small size - 30-33 cm in height and up to 20 cm in length, so it’s quite easy to get to the dog's hair.
- Not only adult parasites are dangerous, but also their larvae. They can fall from an infected dog anywhere - on grass, roads, fallen leaves, on the ground, etc. Often flea eggs penetrate into the dwelling with shoes, sticking to the shoe soles and even clothes. And this is a threat to dogs that do not go outside, or are extremely rare there.
Given all of the above, we can say that anyone, even the pet, can become infected with fleas.
It should also be borne in mind that after curing a dog of blood-sucking parasites, there are risks of re-infection, as fleas, their eggs or pupae may remain in the animal’s habitat - in the booth, on the bedding , in the basket or the bed. They can also penetrate furniture and carpeting. Therefore, all things with which the sick dog was in contact, also require cleaning and disinfecting.
The danger of flea bites
Fleas definitely bring discomfort and pain to animals, but this is not their greatest danger. What can we expect from these little bloodsuckers? The main troubles that may arise from fleas are the following:
- Together with the blood particles, they can transfer all the diseases of the previous animal, on which the parasites lived. Typhoid, plague , tularemia - these are just a few names of severe ailments that a flea can infect.
- Flea saliva causes irritation and itching of the skin at bite sites. The dog, tearing the skin that scratches with claws and teeth, provokes the repeated infection of wounds, the development of dermatological diseases and allergic manifestations .
- Fleas can act as an intermediate host for cucumber tapeworm - pathogens of dipilidiosis and some types of worms .
- In weakened, elderly animals and small puppies on the background of infection with fleas, the body can be very depleted or anemia can develop.
Owners are required to closely monitor their pets and timely remove fleas in order to avoid complications. And for this you need to know the signs of this phenomenon.
How to find out that a dog has fleas
Quite often, the pet owner discovers infection with insects only when they are already in abundance divorced the animal and cause significant harm to his health. To prevent this, it is necessary to carefully observe your pet, and the following behavior should alarm the owner:
- the dog is sleeping restlessly, constantly changing the place to rest;
- a pet, when in a calm state, may suddenly jump;
- he often arches his back and freezes in that position for a few seconds;
- the animal gnaws its skin, while you can hear how your teeth click;
- there is a certain ches - the dog is very quickly and violently scratched, and this behavior is not similar to the usual scratching.
If a flea is suspected, it is necessary to examine the pet's skin. If inflamed areas, points of dried blood are found on the skin, it means that these parasitic insects have gotten on the pet.
If the dog has a tendency to be allergic, or it has sensitive skin, a reddish rash may appear on the background of flea bites. Most often it is localized in the abdomen, inside the thighs, at the withers, behind the auricles. Also, if you are allergic to a pet, tearing from the corners of the eyes increases, hair loss is possible. The bites fester over time.
With severe lesions in the dog bald patches are formed on the withers, the croup and around the base of the tail. If the dog is not treated in a timely manner, it can completely lose its hair, and death is possible due to secondary infection.
How to remove fleas in dogs
The following actions are extremely important:
- the litter of the animal must be thrown away, or, if possible, boiled;
- to treat with the means of fleas all the places in the apartment where the sick animal was located;
- vacuum the floor, and if the bag vacuum cleaner - the capacity for dust to destroy.
If the pet is prone to allergies, it is best to consult a veterinarian who will prescribe a safe treatment that does not cause complications.
The veterinarian may prescribe the following anti-flea drugs:
- in the form of a spray;
- washing gels and shampoos ;
- insecticide collars;
- chewable tablets;
- folk recipes.
Having found parasites, do not panic and be afraid, because this problem is completely solved. It is worth choosing a suitable tool and follow the instructions:
Flea Sprays for Dogs
The drug is sprayed all over the coat. In a sense, it is not the most convenient remedy for fleas in dogs, since:
- can get into the animal's eyes;
- high risk of withdrawal of funds;
- day after treatment can not touch the dog;
- if the pet is accustomed to sleeping in the owners' bed, then after treatment it is not allowed to spray it there;
- the procedure should be carried out in gloves in a well-ventilated area, and even better in the open air;
- such a tool is very difficult to dose, so it is possible to exceed the required rate.
The most popular are the following flea spray - Frontline, Leopard, Gett, Hartz, Noroklin Extra, Bearhar.
Flea drops for dogs
It is a liquid product that is applied to the withers of an animal. The active ingredient of the droplets is absorbed into the upper layer of the skin, scares and eliminates parasites. Against fleas, it acts instantly, with other parasitic insects copes after a while.
Means of this group are quite powerful and are able to completely rid the pet of fleas. Among the most effective brands are the following: Stronghold, Bars, Advantage (for dogs of small breeds), Advantix.
Means have a number of contraindications, which should be read before use.
Special flea shampoos for dogs
They are not particularly effective, as they do not completely rid animals of parasites, only reducing their number. Shampoos can be used if the dog has very few “guests”.
It is necessary to moisten the coat with warm water, apply the agent and wait for the specified time, most often it is 5-10 minutes. After the shampoo is recommended to wash off, and the pet's hair should be carefully combed with a brush with frequent teeth in order to remove dead or paralyzed insects.
Good shampoos have a doctor Dr. Zoo, Leonardo, Celandine, Beafar.
Do not belong to medicines. Among the disadvantages are the following:
- They are toxic.
- Some can not be used for puppies under six months and older animals.
- Contraindicated for pets with kidney, liver, neurological diseases.
- Able to provoke dermatological diseases, allergic reactions.
Need to choose carefully. There are special collars that can be used for puppies, pregnant and lactating females. Such a line is among the Beaphar brand products.
The collar is put on the dog's neck and protection lasts from three to six months. This is not only a treatment for fleas, but also prophylactic. Preparations which have recommended themselves: Beaphar, Doctor Zoo, Celandine, Bolfo, Bars.
Flea Chewable Tablets for Dogs
This is the least popular tool, although very simple to use. The pet is treated with a tablet, which is to taste a real delicacy, after some time the procedure is repeated. Application is possible already from 2 months of age.
These drugs are manufactured by well-known manufacturers: Frontline, Capstar, Bravecto, Comfortis. In addition to pharmacy tools, there are homemade ways of getting rid of fleas using popular recipes.
Folk ways to eliminate fleas
In this segment, you can find both the safest methods of eliminating parasites, and not so much:
- Combing out insects using a comb with frequent teeth is the most innocuous way for an animal and the most time-consuming for the owner, it will not work out one procedure.
- Pet washing with tar soap - this method can replace the use of special shampoos. But with frequent use can lead to dry skin.
- The use of wormwood - with a decoction of grass, they wash the floor and other surfaces, lay out linen bags with dried wormwood. In the dog's coat is rubbed. For the same purpose, you can use tansy.
- If the dog lives in a booth, it is better to use sawdust as a litter.
- Celandine - a plant infused with vodka is used as drops on the withers, but not more than three drops, because celandine is very toxic.
- Garlic is a powerful antiparasitic agent that eliminates not only fleas, but also worms, and other parasites. Chopped garlic, filled with boiling water and filtered, is used for the treatment of the coat, but very carefully so that the dog cannot lick it off. Garlic can be added to pet in small amounts.
Of course, it is easier to prevent infection than to deal with it, so you should monitor the cleanliness of your home, and regularly do wet cleaning.
The dog is recommended to inspect, especially in the spring and summer. At the same time, it is better to use a special anti-flea collar. Care should be taken to ensure that the animal has no contact with unfamiliar dogs.
Fully protect the dog from fleas is unrealistic, but it is possible to reduce the risk of infection.