The power of the mastiff and a bit melancholic muzzle of a basset hound - voila, we have a representative of the bloodhound. To this can be added the mind, goodwill and affection for the owner. Such a handsome man involuntarily attracts the eyes of passersby, but in his rules not to notice excessive curiosity. What is known about these handsome?
- Происхождение породы бладхаунд 1. The origin of the bloodhound
- Описание породы собак бладхаунд 2. Description of breed dogs Bloodhound
- Черты характера бладхаундов 3. Character traits of the Bloodhounds
- Как правильно ухаживать за породистым питомцем 4. How to care for a purebred pet
- Правильное питание 5. Proper nutrition
- Фото бладхаундов 6. Photos of the Bloodhounds
- Видео о бладхаунде 7. Video about bloodhound
- Сколько стоит щенок бладхаунда 8. How much is a bloodhound puppy?
The origin of the bloodhound
This breed, originally from Belgium, has a rich history, as its ancestors participated in the hunt of medieval royal persons of European states. Although the Bloodhounds have Belgian roots, the breed has developed in the territory of England. It was here that the local aristocracy became interested in breeding the most ancient hounds of dogs.
Until now, the name of the breed appeals to disputes in the scientific community, because in translation the bloodhound means “dog of blood”. According to one version, it is connected with the ability of dogs to pursue wounded prey by the smell of blood. According to another, it is assumed that it is a purebred of representatives of this breed.
Prior to the infiltration of the Bloodhounds in other European countries, this breed was bred by monks in one of the Belgian monasteries. The first mention of the fact that the dog stepped on the English lands, belongs to the 10th century. And it happened with a light hand of William the Conqueror.
The magnificent hunting abilities of the Bloodhound were immediately evaluated, and their sense of smell was also useful for search operations. This is their property first applied by the Americans. Dogs could easily find a man in impassable woodlands, and their endurance allowed to work around the clock.
Bloodhounds were also used to calculate the criminals, inspecting the crime scene with his nose, the dog could unmistakably determine to whom the scent belonged.
This work revealed the characteristics of representatives of the breed - the complete absence of aggression. All subsequent attempts to develop anger in dogs and teach them to attack a person were not crowned with success.
On the territory of the Russian state, the Bloodhounds fell into the 16th century. But after the death of Peter the Great, interest in the breed began to fade, and its representatives soon completely disappeared from the country.
The second wave of popularity in Russia overtook the breed only at the end of the 20th century. Today, there is no special fashion for the Bloodhounds, but there are still special kennels and simple lovers who breed these unusual dogs.
It will be interesting: why do the bloodhound drool ?
Description of breed dogs Bloodhound
Breeding individuals - very powerful and colorful, with a specific appearance:
- Most impressive is their head - large, grand, beautiful. The profile shows that it has the shape of a square. In the area of the forehead and cheeks, the skin forms characteristic folds, which visibly hang down when the head is tilted. In males, this feature is more pronounced.
- The nose of the bloodhounds is large, with black or brown lobe and wide nostrils. Lips are different in length and softness, with the top closes the bottom. The corners of the lips form massive flews, again more developed in males. The surface of the lips has a pigmentation in the tone of the nose.
- Bite on the type of "scissors", but the standard is allowed and straight. The powerful jaw is equipped with strong, white teeth.
- Eye color may be dark brown, hazel, and in representatives of the breed that do not have black cheprak, amber.
- The eyes are medium, do not bulge out and do not sink, do not water. Due to the drooping of the lower eyelid in the corners of the eyes, redness is allowed. The look at the Bloodhounds is kind, somewhat bored.
- Dogs' ears are thin, very pleasant to the touch, reminiscent of velvet, have a low fit.
- The neck , like most hunting dogs, is long and muscular, which allows them to chase prey, constantly sniffing the ground.
- The back of the bloodhound, straight, strong with a strong loin. The sternum is wide, forming the keel between the front legs. The tail is fleshy, has the form of a saber.
- The limbs of the dogs, that the front, that the rear, strong, muscular, with the right elbows.
- The skin is soft, has good elasticity. Forming folds in the muzzle area, its accumulation on the body of the animal is not welcome.
The coat of the bloodhounds dense, hard, is an excellent protection against bad weather. In the region of the head and ears, the hair is shorter and softer, while the lower line of the tail is longer and coarser.
There are three colors of the Bloodhounds:
- black-red - in this case, the black wool can be a raincoat or a cap-neck;
- red - the shade can vary from light to dark, but the reverse color change - to a light one is not welcome.
The location of color zones is fuzzy, light blotches are allowed on the black areas. Small white areas are allowed, but not encouraged.
The ideal growth of the bloodhound stala is about 68 cm, females - within 62 cm. Male weight varies from 46 to 54 kg, females from 40 to 48 kg. Moreover, the maximum weight must correspond to the maximum height.
These dogs have aristocratic manners and have unlimited love for their family. They gently and reverently treat children, allowing any liberty in his address. This often leads to the fact that the dog has to be protected from the child, but never vice versa. Here children should be brought up so as not to hurt the pet and take away food and toys.
Among the representatives of the breed individuals are often timid and shy. But this does not prevent them from showing stubbornness. This feature requires a special approach during training - with tenderness and hardness at the same time.
Bloodhounds can coexist with other pets, conflicts rarely occur, and they can be directed at dogs of the same sex. But in general, dogs are very hospitable and peace-loving. Not every bloodhound can fully protect the territory from unwanted guests.
On the run it is better to keep your pet on a leash, since, having become interested in any scent, he can follow him and get lost. Experts believe that the unique sense of smell of dogs of this breed allows them to move through the smell, which was left 3-4 days ago, and overcome all the way. This allows them to use the search service.
Like all hunters, Bloodhounds eat everything, so you should educate them and watch what their pet devours. Puppy age in these dogs lasts up to 2 years.
Good to know:
- how to teach the bloodhound to the toilet ;
- what lounger buy bloodhound ;
- Is it possible to give bloodhound milk ?
How to care for a purebred pet
- In the care of the dog breed Bladhound unpretentious. It is enough to process short wool with a special brush a couple of times a week. Frequent bathing is also not required, unless the pet is not very dirty. After taking a bath, a pet should not be dried with a hair dryer; it is better to wipe it with a large towel with a hard surface. This procedure is enough for the dog's coat to shine and look well-groomed.
- The beautiful ears of the bloodhound perfectly collect dust and dirt, so they need to be cleaned several times a month with napkins or cotton swabs.
- The weak spot of the bloodhounds is the eyes where the skin of the eyelids sags, a speck of dust easily penetrates into the formed gap and can cause inflammation of the conjunctiva. Therefore, it is important to regularly inspect and wash them if necessary. In this situation, you can use tea brewing and be sure to ask for help from a veterinarian.
- In dogs living in apartment conditions, there is no natural grinding of the claws, so they need to be cut off with a special claw cutter .
- The endurance and activity of the bloodhound requires everyday physical exertion. If the dog is not stimulated, then he will be engaged in his favorite work for more than one hour - sniffing out traces on the ground. Therefore, it is important to play with a pet, run, you can use inventory. Active walking should be at least 1.5 hours.
- Care should be focused on the physiological characteristics of the dog. For example, the skin under the folds can stretch and they should be periodically moved apart and examined.
- In addition, representatives of the breed are prone to torsions and eversion of the eyelids, and special attention is required here. At the slightest suspicion of illness, it is necessary to apply to the veterinary clinic, since these diseases do not go away by themselves, but only progress.
- Often, the bloodhounds suffer from diseases of the musculoskeletal system, which are mainly associated with malnutrition. It is necessary to provide a pet with a balanced diet, this is especially important in the period of rapid development and growth of the dog.
Knowing the tendency of dogs to bones and joints diseases (for example, arthrosis ), breeders recommend to the newly minted bloodhound owners to pay maximum attention to this aspect.
It is not recommended to dramatically change the diet, as the animal can suffer from disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, it is worth checking with the seller what the puppy ate lately.
Daily diet is calculated based on the weight of the dog. She should be her fifth. The presence of vitamin-mineral complexes in puppy feeding is mandatory, but only on the recommendation of a veterinarian.
Bloodhounds in the diet requires the presence of fiber, carbohydrate and protein component. Dogs can be given dairy products, cereals, bread, vegetables. Among vegetables, only potatoes are not recommended.
Meat is the basis of the daily menu of any dog, including bloodhound. From the total number of food it and offal should be 2/3. Sometimes a pet can be given lean fish, boiled and pre-boned. Chicken, turkey meat is also recommended to boil before serving, as it can negatively affect digestion.
It is not recommended to completely transfer dogs of this breed to ready-made feeds. They can be given as an additional source of microelements in the form of feeding or reward. The main food should remain natural products.
Photos of Bloodhounds
Video about bloodhound
How much is a bloodhound puppy
This breed, despite not too high demand, is very, very expensive. A puppy with a pedigree from a private seller on average will cost 45,000 rubles. In the nursery prices are slightly higher:
- A friend in the family will cost about 60000 rubles.
- Pet for subsequent breeding, but without show career - about 70,000.
- And the price of a puppy from parents-champions, with excellent characteristics and exhibition future - will be 80,000 rubles.
Before purchasing a purebred puppy, you should understand that this breed is suitable only for active people with a firm hand and experience in keeping dogs.