The power of the mastiff and the slightly melancholic muzzle of the basset hound are voila, before us is a representative of the bloodhound breed. You can add to this the mind, goodwill and affection for the owner. Such a handsome man involuntarily attracts the looks of passers-by, but his rules do not notice excessive curiosity. What is known about these sympathizers?
- Происхождение породы бладхаунд 1. Origin of the bloodhound breed
- Описание породы собак бладхаунд 2. Description of the breed of bloodhound dogs
- Черты характера бладхаундов 3. Character traits Bloodhounds
- Как правильно ухаживать за породистым питомцем 4. How to properly care for a thoroughbred pet
- Правильное питание 5. Proper nutrition
- Фото бладхаундов 6. Photo Bloodhounds
- Видео о бладхаунде 7. Bloodhound video
- Сколько стоит щенок бладхаунда 8. How much does a Bloodhound puppy cost?
Origin of the bloodhound breed
This breed, originally from Belgium, has a rich history, as its ancestors participated in the hunt of medieval royalty of European states. Although the Bloodhounds have Belgian roots, the breed has developed in the territory of England. It was here that the local aristocracy became interested in breeding the oldest hounds of dogs.
Until now, the name of the breed is controversial in the scientific community, because in translation, the bloodhound means "dog of blood". According to one version, it is associated with the ability of dogs to pursue wounded prey by the smell of blood. On the other, it is assumed that we are talking about the purebredness of the representatives of this breed.
Before the penetration of bloodhounds into other states of Europe, this breed was bred by monks in one of the Belgian monasteries. The first mention that the dog of this breed set foot on the English lands, refers to the 10th century. And it happened with the easy hand of William the Conqueror.
The magnificent hunting abilities of the bloodhound were immediately appreciated, in addition, their sense of smell was useful for search operations. This is their property first applied by Americans. Dogs could easily find a person in impenetrable forest areas, and their endurance allowed to work around the clock.
Bloodhounds were also used to calculate criminals, having examined the scene of the crime with the nose, the dog could unmistakably determine to whom the fragrance belonged.
This work has revealed the characteristics of the breed's representatives - a complete lack of aggression. All subsequent attempts to develop in dogs anger and teach to attack a man were not crowned with success.
On the territory of the Russian state bloodhounds hit the 16th century. But after the death of Peter the Great, interest in the breed began to fade, and its representatives soon completely disappeared from the country.
The second wave of popularity in Russia overtook the breed only at the end of the 20th century. Today there is no special fashion for bloodhounds, but nevertheless there are special nurseries and simple lovers engaged in breeding these unusual dogs.
It will be interesting: why the bloodhound drool .
Description of breed of dogs bloodhound
Purebred individuals are very powerful and colorful, with a specific appearance:
- Most impressive is their head - large, grandiose, beautiful. The profile shows that it has the shape of a square. In the region of the forehead and cheeks, the skin forms characteristic folds, which, when the head is tilted, noticeably hang. In males, this sign is more pronounced.
- The nose is large-sized bloodhounds, with a black or brown lobe and wide nostrils. Lips differ in length and softness, and the upper closes the lower one. The corners of the lips form massive flecks, again more developed in males. The surface of the lips has a pigmentation in the tone of the nose.
- Bite by the type of "scissors", but the standard is allowed and direct. The powerful jaw is equipped with sturdy, white teeth.
- The color of the eyes can be dark brown, nutty, and in representatives of the breed that do not have a black cap, amber.
- Eyes are average, do not protrude outward and do not sink, do not water. Because of the sagging of the lower eyelid, redness is allowed in the corners of the eyes. A look at bloodhounds is kind, somewhat bored.
- The ears of the dogs are thin, very pleasant to the touch, resemble velvet, have a low landing.
- The neck , like most hunting dogs, is long, muscular, which allows them to pursue prey, constantly sniffing the ground.
- Back at bloodhounds, straight, strong with a strong loin. The sternum is wide, forming a keel between the front paws. Tail fleshy, has the shape of a saber.
- The extremities of the dogs are that the forelegs are hind legs, strong, with well-developed muscles, with correctly placed elbows.
- The skin is soft, has good elasticity. Forming folds in the area of the muzzle, its congestion on the body of the animal is not welcome.
The coat of bloodhounds is tight, hard, and is an excellent protection against bad weather. In the region of the head and ears, the fur is shorter and softer, along the lower line of the tail it is longer and coarser.
There are three color bloodhounds:
- black-red - in this case, black hair can be a cloak or a cap;
- red - the shade can vary from light to dark, reverse the same color change - to the lighter one is not welcome.
The location of the color zones is unclear, light patches are allowed on the black areas. Small white areas are allowed, but not encouraged.
The ideal growth of the male Bloodhound is about 68 cm, females - within 62 cm. The weight of the male varies from 46 to 54 kg, females from 40 to 48 kg. And the maximum weight should correspond to the maximum growth.
Bloodbane character traits
These dogs have aristocratic manners and possess boundless love for their family. They are gentle and reverent towards children, allowing any liberty in their address. This often leads to the fact that the dog has to protect from the child, but never vice versa. Here it is necessary to bring up children, so that they do not cause pain to the pet and do not take away food and toys.
Among the members of the breed, the individuals are often timid and shy. But this does not prevent them from showing obstinacy. This feature requires a special approach during training - with affection and firmness at the same time.
Bloodhounds can co-exist with other pets, conflicts arise rarely, and they can be directed to dogs of the same sex. But in general, the dogs are very hospitable and peaceful. Not every bloodhound can fully protect the territory from unwanted guests.
On the ground it is better to keep the pet on a leash, because, having become interested in some flavor, it can follow it and get lost. Experts are sure that the unique sense of smell of dogs of this breed allows them to move on the smell that was left 3-4 days ago, and to overcome all the way. This allows them to be involved in the search service.
Like all hunters, bloodhounds eat everything, so you should educate them and watch what the pet consumes. Puppy age in these dogs lasts up to 2 years.
Good to know:
- how to accustom a blood-well to the toilet ;
- what a lounger to buy a bloodhound ;
- Is it possible to give bloodhound milk .
How to properly care for a thoroughbred pet
- In the care of dogs the breed bloodhound is unpretentious. A short coat is enough to handle a special brush a couple of times a week. Frequent bathing is also not required, unless the pet is very dirty. After taking a bath, the pet should not be dried with a hair drier, it is better to wipe it with a large towel with a hard surface. This procedure is enough that the coat of the dog shone and looked well-groomed.
- The fine ears of the bloodhound perfectly collect dust and dirt, therefore several times a month it is necessary to wipe them with napkins or cotton swabs.
- Vulnerable place bloodhounds are the eyes in places where the skin of the eyelids hangs, dust can easily penetrate into the formed gap and can cause inflammation of the conjunctiva. Therefore, it is important to inspect them regularly and wash them if necessary. In this situation, you can use tea brewing and always seek help from a veterinarian.
- Dogs living in apartment conditions do not experience natural clawing, so they need to be cut with a special claw .
- Endurance and activity of bloodhounds require daily physical activity. If the dog does not stimulate, then he will do his favorite thing more than one hour - sniffing traces on the ground. Therefore it is important to play with the pet, run, you can use the inventory. Active walking should be at least 1.5 hours.
- Care should be focused on the physiological characteristics of the dog. For example, the skin under the wrinkles may be past and should be periodically pushed and examined.
- In addition, the representatives of the breed are prone to twists and turns of the eyelids, and here special attention is required. At the slightest suspicion of an ailment, you need to contact a vet clinic, as these diseases do not go away by themselves, but only progress.
- Often bloodhounds suffer from diseases of the musculoskeletal system, which are mainly associated with malnutrition. It is necessary to provide the pet with a balanced diet, especially it is important during the rapid development and growth of the dog.
Knowing the tendency of dogs to diseases of bones and joints (for example, arthrosis ), breeders recommend new owners of bloodhounds to pay maximum attention to this aspect.
It is not recommended to dramatically change the diet, since the animal can suffer from a disorder of the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, it is worthwhile to check with the seller about what the puppy was eating recently.
The daily food ration is calculated based on the weight of the dog. It should make up the fifth part. Necessarily the presence of vitamin-mineral complexes in the feeding of the puppy, but only on the recommendation of the veterinarian.
Bloodhoundam in the diet requires the presence of fiber, carbohydrate and protein component. The dog can be given dairy products, cereals, bread, vegetables. Among vegetables, only potatoes are not recommended.
Meat is the basis of the daily menu of any dog, including a bloodhound. From the total amount of food, it and offal should be 2/3. Sometimes a pet can be given lean fish, boiled and pre-cleaned from bones. Chicken, turkey meat is also recommended before serving to boil, as it can adversely affect digestion.
It is not recommended that dogs of this breed be completely transferred to ready-made feed. They can be given as an additional source of micronutrients in the form of fertilizing or encouraging. The main food should be natural products.
How much does a bloodhound puppy cost?
This breed, despite not too high demand, is very, very expensive. A puppy with a pedigree from a private seller will cost an average of 45,000 rubles. In the nursery the prices are slightly higher:
- A friend in the family will cost about 60,000 rubles.
- Pet for subsequent breeding, but without an exhibition career - about 70,000.
- And the price of a puppy from parents-champions, with excellent characteristics and exhibition future - will be 80,000 rubles.
Before acquiring a thoroughbred puppy, it is worthwhile to understand that this breed is suitable only for active people with a solid hand and experience in keeping dogs.