The puppy in the house is a lot of hassle, sometimes pleasant, but sometimes quite difficult. Walking, playing games - all this looks very easy from the outside. And when the animal starts to ache, the owner suffers with a question: how to help the pet of the family? Some illnesses arise from malnutrition, others due to poor or inadequate care, and there is a category of diseases that occur due to unforeseen circumstances. Rabies in dogs is an obvious example of such a problem.
Causes of rabies
Rabies is caused in warm-blooded animals by a special virus that enters the body when bitten by a sick animal healthy. The virus is in the dog's saliva. There are cases of infection with this virus not only through a bite, but also with normal contact, if the skin has microcracks. In this case, the saliva can enter through them into the body of a healthy animal or person.
Do not be careless to think that drooling in the animal is caused by some other factors. Working with such a dog, you should follow the security measures. After all, the virus is in the saliva fluid, and it can be everywhere: on the wool, on the limbs, on the claws, and even on the floor, next to the place of the pet.
If there are any deviations in the behavior of the animal, the animal looks too aggressive or opposite, apathetic, it should be shown to its veterinarian. After all, not only dogs and cats die from rabies, death of a person and child death are quite real.
No matter how attached the family to the pet, but if it has a rabies virus, it will have to be put to sleep . Therefore, it is so important to follow the recommendations of veterinarians and do preventive vaccinations.
Read the article : Dog Sterilization .
Symptoms of rabies in dogs
Rabies in dogs at the initial stage has latent symptoms. The incubation period can be short (several days), and sometimes quite long - several months. The average duration of the exuberant form is from 5 days to 2 weeks.
There are several types of disease, each of which differs by its characteristics inherent to it.
The most common form of rabies is violent, but there are also the following forms:
The violent form of the disease is conditionally divided into 3 stages, we will consider the characteristics characteristic for them:
- Prodromal stage . At the first stages after infection, the symptoms remain barely noticeable to the host. It seems that the dog is tired or offended: stops running, most often lies, does not try to communicate with people. Previously obedient dog ceases to perform commands, respond to the sounds and voice of the host. On the other hand, the picture of the onset of the disease can be quite the opposite: the uncommunicative animal suddenly starts demanding increased attention, licks the hands of the owner, in general, behaves differently than usual. Therefore, a sharp change in behavior should be the first alarm signal, which should be reacted. After the 2nd, a maximum of 3 days, there are pronounced signs of rabies in the dog, which an experienced dog breeder will not be able to miss. This is increased salivation, trouble breathing. A domestic pet always yawns, there is a feeling that he lacks oxygen, convulsively tries to draw air with his mouth.
- Manic stage . Signs of rabies are clearly visible: the dog becomes aggressive and can suddenly attack a person, although in a healthy state the animal has always been extremely affectionate and benevolent. This stage is dangerous because the pet loses control over its emotions. Can suddenly bite any member of the family, the child. The animal experiences cravings for inedible objects, it can be found eating items of furniture, clothes, walls. In addition, the pet at certain times can hide in dark places. At this stage, partial paralysis of muscles of the larynx and lower jaw occurs, the voice of the dog becomes unrecognizable, hoarse. Sometimes it is possible to observe convulsive seizures, accompanied by the rolling of the eyes or their strabismus. At this point the dog is no longer rampant. There comes a calm phase - the animal is apathetic, the breathing is heavy, there are signs of lack of air. The stage lasts a maximum of 5 days, but on the third day you can see the transition to the next stage.
- The stage of complete paralysis , which, first of all, is accompanied by a fear of water and complete paralysis of the swallowing apparatus. Almost at this stage, aggression is not noticeable. In addition to paralysis of the larynx, the muscles of the limbs also suffer. The dog can limp or completely drag its hind legs. Because of the inability to swallow saliva, there is constant salivation. On the third day, paralysis captures the internal organs of the pet, most often the animal falls into a coma and no longer leaves it until death.
Other forms of rabies are also characterized by certain manifestations. These include the following:
- Long-term course of the disease (from 3 months to 6 months), absence of aggression is characteristic for the atypical form of the disease. The dog suffers from vomiting , the resulting diarrhea leads the pet to a deplorable state. The family's favorite weakens and withers before his eyes, looks extremely drained.
- For a depressive form that occurs fairly quickly (about 5 days), the following are characteristic: rapid deterioration of the condition, the dog coughs, and salivation increases. Death occurs on the 3rd or 5th day, the cause is paralysis of internal organs.
- The return form is characterized by a paroxysmal course of the disease. Attacks then arise, then disappear, to occur with a vengeance. The animal dies. This takes only a few days. However, in some cases, there is a rather long break in the weeks between the bouts of the illness.
- The abortive form is poorly understood. An animal that has obvious signs of rabies suddenly recovers completely. It happens so rarely that you can not hope for a miracle.
Is treatment possible?
If rabies are suspected, especially when the animal had contact with or was bitten by an unknown (stray) animal, the pet is isolated and referred to the veterinary service. The pet is placed in quarantine. People and animals that were in contact with the infected are vaccinated.
Do not be reassuring yourself, the animal, which shows obvious signs of rabies, treatment is no longer subject. The virus that enters the body carries a destructive power. It multiplies rapidly and damages healthy cells. Having reached the brain cells, the virus causes inflammation in it, and this leads to paralysis and death.
Secure the dog if you listen to the requirements of veterinarians and immunize the animal.
The disease is incurable, so it's important to try to protect your beloved dog from rabies. Here are some tips on how to avoid rabies:
- Vaccination against rabies should be done in a timely manner. Especially this applies to large dogs, which owners lower off leashes, so that they frolic on a lawn in a park or forest. Wild animals and their bites can become deadly to the pet.
- If a bite to an unknown animal occurred in front of the owner of the dog, immediately wash the wound with warm water with a thick solution of laundry soap. Then process the edges of the wound. To do this, it is best to use a solution of brilliant green (green). Continue to urgently contact the vet. He will make all the necessary manipulations with the wound, check the vaccine mark, tell him how to proceed. The ungrafted dog will be isolated.
Rabies is a very dangerous disease with a fatal outcome. All dog owners should remember this and timely carry out the immunization of the pet. It depends not only on his life, but also on the life of all family members!