A puppy in the house - a lot of trouble, sometimes pleasant, but sometimes quite difficult. Walks, games - it all looks very easy from the outside. And when the animal starts to hurt, the owner suffers with a question: how to help the family pet? Some diseases are caused by malnutrition, others by poor or inadequate care, and there is a category of diseases that occur due to unforeseen circumstances. Rabies in dogs is a clear example of such a problem.
Causes of rabies
Rabies is caused in warm-blooded animals by a special virus that enters the body when it is bitten by sick healthy animals. The virus is in the dog's saliva. There are cases of infection with this virus not only through a bite, but also during normal contact, if there are microcracks on the skin. In this case, saliva can get through them into the body of a healthy animal or person.
You should not blithely think that drooling in an animal is caused by any other factors. Working with such a dog, you should observe security measures. After all, the virus is in the salivary fluid, and it can be everywhere: on the fur, on the limbs, on the claws, and even on the floor, next to the pet.
If there are any abnormalities in the behavior of the animal, the animal looks too aggressive or, on the contrary, apathetic, you should show it to the vet. After all, not only dogs and cats die of rabies, the death of a person and the death of a child are quite real.
No matter how the family is tied to a pet, but if he has a rabies virus, he will have to be put to sleep . Therefore, it is important to observe the recommendations of veterinarians and to make prophylactic vaccinations.
Read the article : dog sterilization .
Symptoms of Rabies in Dogs
Rabies in dogs at the initial stage has hidden symptoms. The incubation period can be short (several days), and it can be quite long - several months. The average duration of a violent form - from 5 days to 2 weeks.
There are several types of the disease, each of which is distinguished by its characteristics inherent to it.
The most common type of rabies is exuberant, but the following forms exist:
The exuberant form of the disease is conventionally divided into 3 stages, we consider the signs characteristic of them:
- Prodromal stage . In the first stages after infection, the symptoms remain barely noticeable to the host. It seems that the dog is tired or offended: stops running, often lies, does not try to communicate with people. The previously obedient dog stops performing commands, reacting to the sounds and voice of the host. On the other hand, the picture of the onset of the disease can be quite the opposite: the unsociable animal suddenly begins to demand increased attention to itself, licks the hands of the owner, in general, does not behave as usual. Therefore, an abrupt change in behavior should be the first alarm to which to respond. After the 2nd, maximum on the 3rd day, there are pronounced signs of rabies in the dog, which an experienced dog breeder will not be able to miss. This is increased salivation, breathing problems. The pet is constantly yawning, there is a feeling that he lacks oxygen, frantically trying to get air with his mouth.
- Manic stage . Signs of rabies are clearly visible: the dog becomes aggressive and can suddenly attack a person, although in a healthy state the animal has always been extremely affectionate and benevolent. This stage is dangerous in that the pet loses control of its emotions. Can suddenly bite any family member, child. The animal has a craving for inedible objects, it can be caught gnawing pieces of furniture, clothing, walls. In addition, a pet at certain moments may hide in dark places. At this stage, partial paralysis of the muscles of the larynx and lower jaw occurs, the dog's voice becomes unrecognizable, hoarse. Sometimes it is possible to observe convulsive seizures, accompanied by rolling of the eyes or their squint. At this point, the dog is no longer rampant. There comes a quiet phase - the animal is apathetic, breathing is heavy, there are signs of lack of air. The stage lasts a maximum of 5 days, but on the third day you can notice the transition to the next stage.
- The stage of complete paralysis , which, first of all, is accompanied by the fear of water and complete paralysis of the swallowing apparatus. Aggression almost at this stage is not noticeable. In addition to paralysis of the larynx, the muscles of the extremities also suffer. The dog can limp or completely drag its hind legs. Due to the inability to swallow saliva, there is a constant drooling. On the third day, paralysis seizes the internal organs of the pet, most often the animal falls into a comatose state and no longer leaves it until death.
Other forms of rabies are also characterized by certain manifestations. These include the following:
- A long course of the disease (from 3 months to six months), the absence of aggression is characteristic of the atypical form of the disease. The dog suffers from vomiting , diarrhea that appears leads the pet to a deplorable state. The beloved of the family weakens and languishes before our eyes, it looks extremely exhausted.
- For a depressive form that proceeds rather quickly (about 5 days), they are characterized by: rapid deterioration of the condition, the dog coughs, its salivation increases. Death occurs on day 3 or 5, paralysis of internal organs becomes the cause.
- Returnable form is characterized by paroxysmal course of the disease. Attacks that arise, then disappear, to arise with a vengeance. The animal perishes. It takes only a few days. However, in some cases, there is a rather long break between a few weeks between bouts of the disease.
- Abortive form poorly understood. An animal that has obvious signs of rabies suddenly recovers. It happens so rarely that one cannot hope for a miracle.
Is treatment possible
If rabies is suspected, especially when the animal has had contact with an unknown (stray) animal or has been bitten by it, the pet is isolated and applied to the veterinary service. Pet placed in quarantine. People and animals that were in contact with an infected person are vaccinated.
There is no need to reassure yourself, an animal that exhibits clear signs of rabies is no longer treatable. A virus that has entered the body carries destructive power. It multiplies rapidly and damages healthy cells. Reaching the brain cells, the virus causes inflammation in it, and this leads to paralysis and death.
You can protect the dog, if you listen to the requirements of veterinarians and immunize the animal.
The disease is incurable, so it is important to try to protect your beloved dog from infection with rabies. Here are some tips for avoiding rabies:
- Rabies vaccination should be given in a timely manner. This is especially true of large dogs, which the owners let down from the leash so that they frolic on the lawn in the park or forest. Wild animals and their bites can be fatal to a pet.
- If the bite by an unknown animal occurred in front of the owner of the dog, immediately wash the wound with warm water and a thick solution of soap. Then process the wound edges. To do this, it is best to use a solution of brilliant green (Zelenka). Then go urgently to the veterinarian. He will make all the necessary manipulations with the wound, check the vaccination mark, tell you how to proceed. Unvaccinated dog will be isolated.
Rabies is a very fatal disease. All dog owners should be aware of this and immunize their pet in a timely manner. On this depends not only his life, but also the life of all family members!