Pregnancy in dogs is a very crucial period during which the development of the future charming puppy occurs. On these dates, the animal requires special attention, appropriate care and nutrition. Every owner of a female dog should know everything about the features of feeding her bitch and proper care for her throughout her pregnancy.
- Сколько длится беременность у собак 1. How long does the pregnancy last in dogs?
- Щенность у крупных собак 2. Shchennost have large dogs
- Беременность у мелких собак 3. Pregnancy in small dogs
- Признаки и симптомы беременности у собак 4. Signs and symptoms of pregnancy in dogs
- Симптоматика ложной беременности 5. Symptoms of false pregnancy
- Беременность собаки по дням 6. Pregnancy dogs by day
- Прерывание процесса беременности 7. Termination of pregnancy
- Видео 8. Video
How long does the pregnancy last in dogs?
The average length of gestation for a dog can be from 55 to 70 days. Sometimes there are cases when babies can be born on the 60th or 75th day of pregnancy. This is due to the individual physiological characteristics of the female.
One of the reasons for late delivery is any injury that the dog received earlier. In addition, premature birth can occur due to any hidden diseases, as well as be a result of depletion of the body, age characteristics: too old or too young age.
In large breeds of animals, pregnancy lasts for 65 days, although sometimes there are cases that puppies are born on the 54th or 75th day. If there are a large number of puppies in the womb, the pregnancy time will decrease, and with a small amount, respectively, it will increase.
In the early terms of gestation, the dog leads a habitual way of life, just as active and mobile. In the following stages, it is important to limit the excessive activity of the female. Quite often they themselves feel it perfectly and become calmer.
Pregnancy in small dogs
The normal term of whelping in dogs belonging to small breeds is 60 days. In order to find out how many litters will be born, ultrasound can be done in the early stages of pregnancy, and in later ones you can find them.
Before the start of pregnancy in small-breed individuals, the body temperature decreases by several degrees. They are very sensitive to hypothermia or overheating, so you need to ensure that there is an appropriate temperature in the room where the pregnant dog lives.
In small dogs, the size of the stomach is the same small, and this, in turn, affects feeding during their pregnancy. Indeed, with the growth of the uterus, the stomach shifts and is slightly compressed. Therefore, the food should be light, but calorie.
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy in dogs
Many of the dog owners ask the same question: “How to understand if a bitch is pregnant or not?” To do this, you first need to know the signs and symptoms of pregnancy in dogs. The main manifestations of this state are directly dependent on how long the female is. In most cases, if the period is less than three weeks, then almost no changes with the animals do not occur, there is only increased drowsiness and a certain apathy.
Starting from 20-26 days, in the area of the mammary glands, the skin gradually swells, and the glands themselves become pinkish. The increase in the abdomen in the volume is also clearly manifested, especially in the region of the ribs.
Diagnosis using ultrasound is usually carried out from the 20-25th day. On the screen of the device will already be visible amniotic bubbles with embryos. The most obvious are signs of pregnancy after the 30th day. At this stage, the mammary glands increase significantly in the bitch, and already 5–8 days before giving birth, experienced women give birth to milk. If we talk about dogs that are pregnant for the first time, the milk in most cases arrives right before the birth or during the immediate labor activity.
Starting from the 35th day, the weight of a pregnant female is rapidly increasing every day. At the 8th week of pregnancy, it is possible to probe the individual fetuses in the uterus. At this stage, using X-ray images, you can determine what kind of offspring is expected.
Symptoms of false pregnancy
False pregnancy in dogs is a physiological and mental disorder that occurs in the animal. They can be caused as a result of any deviations in the activity of the sex glands.
External signs of false pregnancy are quite similar to normal. There is a change in pigments of the mammary glands, an enlarged abdomen, colostrum appears, but in reality the fetus is absent. The only sign by which a false pregnancy can be determined is the lack of movement of the embryo in the animal's belly.
All signs of false pregnancy are associated with a dramatic change in the behavior of a bitch:
- The female with special love sets up her lair for future puppies.
- Constantly plays and does not part with soft toys, licks them and behaves as if they were alive.
- There is a certain lethargy regarding walks.
- In most cases, he behaves excitedly and even sometimes aggressively.
If such signs appear, you should immediately contact a veterinarian for help. Also imaginary pregnancy can eliminate the owner himself. To do this, you need to exclude all dairy products from the animal’s diet, try to distract the animal as often as possible and give it various sedatives.
Pregnancy dogs by day
Consider what happens in the process of carrying puppies:
- At week 3, the main symptoms are food refusal and the presence of vomiting . At this stage, the puppies are formed hearts. During this period, it is very important to follow the diet of the bitch and constantly increase its daily amount.
- After 24 days, during the examination, the doctor may feel the embryo.
- On the 29th day, the final formation of the appearance of the embryos takes place, without the formation of wool cover.
- On the 6th week, an increase in the abdomen becomes visually noticeable, the nipples turn pink, and the skin around them becomes lighter.
- Ultrasound diagnostics can be carried out for 30-35 days, and also the formation of all the major body systems ends in babies these days.
- 8th week (54-58th day) - the bitch has frequent licking, and she is also looking for a future place to give birth. Before the direct childbirth, the temperature of the dog drops sharply to 35 degrees. This occurs approximately from 6 to 32 hours before the onset of labor. At this point, the owner must be constantly with the animal next to in time to provide your loved one the necessary help.
Interruption of the process of pregnancy
If we talk about the consequences that bears unplanned mating, then in this case the opinion of veterinarians is divided. Most of them consider the best way out of the current situation - getting rid of puppies, while others, on the contrary, consider giving birth a healthy process and are categorically against interrupting an unplanned pregnancy.
In order to interrupt the gestation, use a variety of drugs. They contain a steroid hormone, which includes the active substance estradiol benzoate. This drug is administered to the animal by injection intramuscularly on the 2nd and 4th day after mating , and if this time is not known, the procedure is repeated on the 6th day.
Most of the drugs used for interrupting whelping, have a large number of different contraindications, which are often referred to as:
- Inflammation of the uterus.
- Opening bleeding.
- Increase the term estrus .
- Hormonal disruptions.
Therefore, it is not necessary to prescribe drugs by yourself so as not to harm your beloved pet.
In order for the birth to take place in the absolute norm, and puppies were born healthy, you need to monitor the condition of your pet during the entire pregnancy. If there are any changes in the behavior of the animal or it refuses to walk and eat, then you should contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.
No need to leave your pet unattended and during childbirth. Usually this process proceeds normally, but the cases are different and at any time the animal may need help or intervention of a veterinarian. Remember, your favorite dog is becoming a mom!
Read more about why a dog may develop mastitis after pregnancy.
All about miscarriage in dogs .