Basset Hound - a dog with an original appearance, a kind of squat melancholy with sad eyes, which you want to regret. But is not this appearance deceptive? What are the representatives of this breed? It is necessary to find out before this Milaha appears in the house.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы бассет-хаунд 2. Description of the Basset Hound breed
- Характер бассетов 3. The nature of the bassetes
- Уход за бассетом и условия содержания 4. Basset care and conditions of detention
- Как кормить бассет-хаунда 5. How to feed a basset hound
- Фото бассет-хаунда 6. Photo of the Basset Hound
- Видео о бассет-хаунде 7. Video about Basset Hound
- Где купить щенка и за сколько 8. Where to buy a puppy and how much
Origin of the breed
The name of the breed speaks for itself, because in translation it means "low hound". The history of basset hounds is quite deep and stretches from ancient Egypt. The first mention of powerful dogs with short legs was found there. Then in Saqqara (Egypt) were found the remains of the ancestors of these animals. In ancient Rome and Greece, such dogs were also known, this was confirmed by the excavation data.
The breeding of short-hounds was practiced in France in the abbey of the Benedictines of Saint Hubert in the 6th century. This became the point of the subsequent distribution of the breed across all European countries. Several representatives even reached Constantinople.
The first mention of Basset Hounds was discovered in the late 16th century, among the pictures about hunting. At that time hunting with dogs was only accessible to the aristocratic circle. Needless to say, animals suitable for these purposes of breeds were very expensive, and they were taken seriously to breeding bassets, selecting the most worthy individuals for reproduction.
The great French Revolution had a negative impact on the development of the breed, but under Napoleon III there was a flourishing of breeding bassets. Under control, the selection came in the seventies of the 19th century, at the same time these beagles fell into the territory of Great Britain.
The English did not stay aside and contributed to the breed qualities of these dogs. Crossing the hounds, they increased their body weight and made them more powerful. Another direction of breeding was aimed at crossing bassets from France and England. The approval of the breed standard occurred in the late 19th century, and its updating in 2010.
Be sure to read the article about the rules of dog walking .
Basset Hound breed description
Characteristics of the basset hound is very interesting. As already noted, basset hounds are low hounds. With this name and their unique combination with a heavy bone skeleton, covered with muscles is connected. They have a large trunk and short, sturdy limbs .
- At a weight of 23-30 kg, their growth varies from 33 to 38 cm. Such a growth-weight ratio in medicine has its name - achondroplasia, that is, dwarfism. However, in this case it is the norm and does not require medical intervention. In addition, as a breed standard, such a constitution highlights bassets among other quadrupeds. Most of the mass falls on the front of the dog's body. And lack of balance prevents dogs from swimming.
- The hounds have a very sharp nose , this is not surprising, given the purpose of the breed. In this they are helped by ears, which seem to "lift" fragrances from the ground to the nose of the animal. Their hunting sense of smell can compete with the sniffing of dogs-bloodhounds. In this respect, the rest of the species lags far behind.
- The skull of the basset has a round shape. The abundance of skin in the area of the muzzle forms folds. It is this feature that gives the dog a sad look and, in the opinion of many owners, a certain charm and mystery.
- The Basset Hounds have strong hunting instincts and in their habit of breaking out of the spot for the alleged prey. So their lazy and imposing appearance is deceptive. Excess skin, as well as long ears that hang down to the ground, allow dogs not only to smell the game, but also to overtake. Naturally, such qualities of hounds were fully appreciated by hunters.
- Possessing short limbs , dogs can not develop large speeds, like other large dogs. But thanks to this feature, dogs can sneak up and suddenly attack.
- The basset has a long tail with a white tip, which makes it possible to see the dog even at great distances, in bush or tall grass.
- The coat of the low hounds is smooth and short, a minus all-the-year-round molt. The wool has a special oily coating with a specific odor, and one should not try to wash it out with frequent washing.
- Among the standard colors, you can find tricolor basset - brown, white and black spots are located throughout the body. This is the classic coloring of this breed.
- Also there are two-colored dogs - they are decorated with white spots on a red background or, conversely, red spots on a white background.
- Less common are purely red bassets with white or yellowish limbs. Any of these colors corresponds to the standard.
- But gray dogs are not so much a rare color, as sometimes sellers of basset hound puppies explain, and in most cases, a sign of a genetic disorder.
Character of bassets
In appearance these dogs are complaisant and phlegmatic, however, in fact, the bassets are rare stubborn and they are very good at deriving their masters from themselves. But this does not prevent them from being affectionate and devoted companions.
Designed for collective hunting, dogs are suitable for living in a large family, do not show aggression, and often develop friendly relations with other pets. But here there are certain limitations, since small rodents and rabbits are the subject of hunting for bassets.
Bassettes are excellent nannies. Despite the apparent awkwardness, they never knock children off their feet and treat them very carefully. It's enough to whistle and the dog will be involved in any game and will get a real pleasure from spending time together.
Many owners confirm that the bassettes are real aristocrats. They behave themselves in public, and they like the attention of others, especially when it comes to competitions and exhibitions.
But the "blue blood" in them manifests itself not only in behavior, but also in character, and not from the best side. They appreciate their importance and their own opinion, so they can refuse to perform assignments, even those who are well acquainted. And yes, like the other hounds, basset hounds are very difficult to master .
Dogs differ in a loud voice, as in large, tall animals. Bad service this quality can be of use when the dog is left alone. At first it can bark furiously, after which it will switch to property damage. This once again confirms that the Basset Hounds are company dogs.
In the first place among the beloved pastime hounds are hunting. But even in urban conditions, you can attract a pet by offering a long walk in the forest zone or park, or an active game.
Basset care and conditions of detention
Bassets are special dogs that require special attention in some issues. For example, short paws lead to more severe contamination of the coat than in other breeds. Therefore, there is a need for warming the pet in the winter, clothes for raw weather and more frequent washing.
The elongated body makes the spine a vulnerable place, so it is important to protect the pet from high jumps, long descents and climbing stairs. Ears should be cleaned at least once every 3-4 days with a cotton swab or napkin.
Bassets differ in constant lacrimation , however, their eyes are not prone to frequent diseases. As care it is enough to wash them periodically with chamomile broth. These dogs can drool, therefore it is recommended to wipe the salivary discharge from the muzzle, as well as dust and dirt.
As already noted, basset hounds have a special "flavor", but they are not fans of bathing . It is necessary to accustom them to this hygienic procedure from puppyhood and then bathe a couple of times a month.
When you plant a pet of this breed, you need to be ready for daily combing out of the wool , because they moult bassets constantly. As a tool, a brush or massage comb is suitable, it is better if its bristles are natural. The duration of one procedure is an average of 7 minutes, so there are no special difficulties.
Another regular procedure - clipping of claws , it is carried out once in 2-4 weeks. Walk adult bassets twice a day. The time allocated for a walk should be about half an hour, necessarily accompanied by a game and running.
Given the hunting predilections, you should not bring out a pet without a lead or trust the case to the children, since the dog can run after the prey and get lost.
To bring up dogs it is necessary from the "young claws", and the owner immediately needs to demonstrate his superiority and leadership qualities. Acting urgently, and stock up a lot of patience.
Basset Hound is a large animal, therefore it requires enough space, whether in an apartment or a private house.
How to feed a basset hound
It is very important to provide the dog with adequate nutrition and the necessary loads. Very often urban hounds move little, which leads to their obesity. And the extra weight affects the health of the short extremities and the elongated spine of the pet. To reduce weight, you need to follow a diet. The main products for natural feeding are low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat meat, eggs of quails.
Breeders of this breed warn that it is impossible to be guided by the appetite of a dog, as bassets very often overeat. When feeding an adult dog with dry food, an average of 2 cups of feed is sufficient. A more accurate rate depends on the size, age of the pet, activity and other parameters.
It is extremely important for the health and well-being of the pet to receive nutritious, high-quality food. Therefore, it is better to give preference to premium and super premium foods. When purchasing a puppy, do not forget to consult with the breeders about leaving and feeding for the dog of this breed.
Photo of the Basset Hound
Basset Hound video
Where to buy a puppy and how much
To get a purebred, healthy puppy, it's best to go to nurseries. However, in the territory of Russia the breed is not widely distributed and there are few nurseries. Maybe I'll have to go to another city.
The price of puppies varies between 25000-45000. The lowest price for dogs that do not have the opportunity to participate in exhibitions and breeding (continuation of the purity of the breed). More expensive will cost a pet with a slight flaw in the standard, which will not allow to become a prize-winner of exhibitions, but the successor of the family is quite. The most expensive option is a puppy of the show class, who will be an enviable groom.
It does not matter which pet gets into the house, in any case, it deserves attention and affection, and the bassets in this case are reciprocated.
We also recommend reading about the beagle .