Basset Hound - a dog with an original appearance, a sort of squat melancholic with sad eyes, which one wants to regret. But is not such a deceptive appearance? What actually represent the breed? It is necessary to find out before this girl will appear in the house.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы бассет-хаунд 2. Description of Basset Hound
- Характер бассетов 3. The nature of basset
- Уход за бассетом и условия содержания 4. Basset Care and Maintenance
- Как кормить бассет-хаунда 5. How to feed a basset hound
- Фото бассет-хаунда 6. Photo basset hound
- Видео о бассет-хаунде 7. Basset Hound Videos
- Где купить щенка и за сколько 8. Where to buy a puppy and for how much
The name of the breed speaks for itself, because in translation it means "low hound." The history of basset hounds is quite deep and stretches from ancient Egypt. The first mentions of powerful dogs with short legs were discovered there. Then in Saqqara (Egypt) were found and the remains of the ancestors of these animals. In ancient Rome and Greece, similar dogs were also known, and the excavation data confirmed this.
The breeding of short-legged hounds was practiced in France at the Benedictine abbey of St. Hubert in the 6th century. This was the point of subsequent distribution of the breed in all European countries. Several representatives even reached Constantinople.
The first mention of basset hounds at the end of the 16th century was discovered, among the pictures about hunting. At that time, hunting with dogs was available only to the aristocratic circle. Needless to say, animals that were suitable for this purpose were very expensive and they were very serious about breeding basset, selecting the most worthy individuals for breeding.
The great French revolution had a negative effect on the development of the breed, but under Napoleon III, the breeding of bassettes flourished. Selection came under control in the seventies of the 19th century, at the same time these hounds came to the territory of Great Britain.
The British did not stand aside and contributed to the pedigree qualities of these dogs. By crossing the hounds, they increased their body weight and made them more powerful. Another direction of breeding was aimed at crossing basset from France and England. The approval of the breed standard occurred at the end of the 19th century, and its update in 2010.
Be sure to read the article about the rules of walking dogs .
Basset Hound Breed Description
The characteristic of the basset hound is quite interesting. As already noted, the basset hounds are low hounds. Their unique build is connected with this name with a heavy bone skeleton covered with muscles. They have a large body and short, strong limbs .
- With a weight of 23-30 kg, their growth varies from 33 to 38 cm. This ratio of height-weight in medicine has its own name - achondroplasia, that is, dwarfism. However, in this case, it is the norm and does not require medical intervention. Moreover, being a breed standard, such a constitution distinguishes bassettes from other four-legged ones. Most of the mass falls on the front of the dog. And the lack of balance does not allow the dogs to swim.
- The hounds have a very sharp nose , this is not surprising, given the purpose of the breed. In this they are helped by the ears, which, as it were, “lift” the aromas from the ground to the nose of the animal. Their hunting sense of smell can compete with the scent of sleeper dogs. The rest of the breed in this regard is far behind.
- The basset's skull is round. The abundance of skin in the muzzle forms folds. It is this feature that gives the dog a sad look and, in the opinion of many owners, a certain charm and mystery.
- The basset hounds have strong hunting instincts, and in their habit of dodging their intended prey. So their lazy and imposing look is deceptive. Excessive skin, as well as long ears that hang to the ground, allow dogs not only to sense the game, but also to overtake. Naturally, such qualities of hounds were fully appreciated by hunters.
- Possessing short limbs , dogs cannot develop great speeds like other big dogs. But thanks to this feature, dogs can sneak up and suddenly attack.
- The basset has a long tail with a white tip, which allows you to see the dog even at long distances, in the bush or tall grass.
- Coat of low hounds is smooth and short, the minus is year-round shedding. Wool has a special oily coating with a specific odor, and do not try to eliminate this feature by frequent washing.
- Among the standard colors can be found tricolor basset - brown, white and black spots located throughout the body. This is a classic color for this breed.
- There are also two-colored dogs - they are decorated with white spots on a red background or, on the contrary, red spots on a white background.
- Rarely found pure red basset with white or yellowish limbs. Any of these colors meet the standard.
- But gray dogs are not only a rare color, as sellers of basset hound puppies sometimes explain, and in most cases, a sign of a genetic disorder.
In appearance, these dogs are docile and phlegmatic, however, in fact, the basset is rare stubborn and they are very good at pulling their owners off. But this does not prevent them from being affectionate and faithful companions.
Designed for collective hunting, the dogs are suitable for life in a large family, do not show aggression, and often make friends with other pets. But there are certain limitations, as small rodents and rabbits are the subject of hunting for basset.
The bassets are superb nannies. Despite the seeming clumsiness, they never knock children off their feet and treat them very carefully. One has only to whistle and the dog will join in any game and will receive real pleasure from sharing time.
Many owners confirm that bassets are real aristocrats. They behave with dignity in public, and they like the attention of others, especially when it comes to contests and exhibitions.
But "blue blood" they manifest themselves not only in behavior, but also in character, and not with the best hand. They appreciate their importance and their own opinion, so they can refuse to perform tasks, even well-known ones. And yes, like the rest of the hounds, basset hounds are very difficult to train .
Dogs are distinguished by a loud voice, as in large, tall animals. This quality can serve as a bad service when the dog is alone. First, he can bark, then switch to damage the property. This once again confirms that the basset hounds are sociable dogs.
Hunting is in the first place among the hounds' favorite pastime. But even in urban settings, you can captivate your pet by offering a long walk in the forest zone or park, or an active game.
Basset Care and Maintenance
Basset - special dogs that require, in some matters, special attention. For example, short legs lead to more severe contamination of the coat than other breeds. Therefore, there is a need for wintering the pet in wet clothes for wet weather and more frequent washing.
The elongated body makes the spine vulnerable, so it is important to protect the pet from high jumps, long descents and ascents on the stairs. Ears should be cleaned at least once every 3-4 days with a cotton swab or napkin.
Bassets are characterized by constant tearing , however, their eyes are not subject to frequent diseases. As a care, it is enough to rinse them periodically with chamomile decoction. These dogs can leak saliva, therefore it is recommended to wipe salivary secretions from the muzzle, as well as dust and dirt.
As already noted, the basset-hounds have a special “flavor”, but they are not bathing fans. They should be taught this hygienic procedure from puppyhood and subsequently bathed a couple of times a month.
Getting a pet of this breed, you need to be ready for the daily combing of wool , as they fade the basset constantly. A brush or a massage comb is suitable as a tool, it is better if its bristles are natural. The duration of one procedure is on average 7 minutes, so there is no particular difficulty.
Another regular procedure is the cutting of claws , it is carried out 1 time in 2-4 weeks. Adult walk basset twice a day. The time allotted for a walk should be about half an hour, necessarily accompanied by play and running.
Considering hunting preferences, it is not necessary to deduce a pet without a leash or trust this business to children, as the dog can run after prey and get lost.
It is necessary to bring up dogs from the “youngest claws”, and the owner must immediately demonstrate his superiority and leadership qualities. You should act aggressively and have a lot of patience.
Basset hound is a large animal, therefore it requires enough space, whether in an apartment or a private house.
How to feed a basset hound
It is very important to provide the dog with proper nutrition and necessary loads. Very often, urban hounds move a little, which leads to their obesity. And overweight affects the health of short limbs and elongated spine of the pet. To lose weight, you need a diet. The main products with natural feeding are low-fat cottage cheese, lean meats, quail eggs.
Breeders of this breed warn that you can not focus on the appetite of the dog, as the basset often overeat. When feeding an adult dog with dry food, an average of 2 cups of food is sufficient. A more accurate rate depends on the size, age of pet, activity and other parameters.
For the health and well-being of your pet, it is extremely important to get nutritious, high-quality food. Therefore, it is better to give preference to premium and super premium feeds. Buying a puppy, do not forget to consult with the breeders about the care and nutrition of the dog of this breed.
Photo Basset Hound
Basset Hound Video
Where to buy a puppy and for how much
To get a purebred, healthy puppy, it is better to contact the kennels. However, in Russia, the breed is not very common and there are few nurseries. You may have to go to another city.
The price of puppies ranges from 25000-45000. The lowest price for dogs that do not have the opportunity to participate in exhibitions and breeding (the continuation of the purity of the breed). More expensive will cost a pet with a small flaw in the standard, which will not allow to become a prize-winner of exhibitions, but it’s quite a successor of the race. The most expensive option is a show-class puppy who will be an enviable groom.
No matter what kind of pet enters the house, in any case, it deserves attention and affection, and in this case the basset are fully reciprocated.
We also recommend reading about Beagles .