The Australian silky terrier is a huge ball of contradictions and surprises. Having a toy appearance, the representatives of this breed are not at all decorative dogs. And can one believe that these lovely creatures are formidable hunters, watchmen, shepherds, guards? Yes, behind such a pretty face lies an incredibly strong spirit dog with unusual abilities.
- История происхождения 1. History of origin
- Как выглядит породистая собака 2. What does a thoroughbred dog look like?
- Особенности характера силки 3. Characteristics of the character of the silk
- Уход за представителями данной породы 4. Care for the representatives of this breed
- Сколько стоит щенок и где его купить 5. How much does the puppy cost and where to buy it?
History of origin
The Australian silky terrier is abbreviated as "silks" - it's a small dog of the breed, obtained by crossing two terriers - Australian and Yorkshire .
History of the breed began in the XIX century, when the territory of Australia began to import the first Yorkshire terrier. Such small breeds were highly valued in the country, so to improve the local representatives of the Australian terriers, they crossed with the brought. Another important goal was pursued - to obtain wool of blue color.
Hopes of breeders were justified - the new breed came to fame, favorably differing in the most beautiful wool cover with a silvery-bluish tint. This wool also fell into the name of the breed - after all, in the translation "silk" means silk.
World dog breeders quickly recognized the new breed, and already at the beginning of the 20th century its representatives could be found at the most prestigious exhibitions. And a little earlier, the standards of these small dogs were approved.
However, for a quarter of a century of its existence, the official standards have been changed many times, and it has become unified and unchanged only in 1926. Until the middle of the last century, besides the main name, thoroughbred dogs were called sydney-silks.
Intensive distribution of the breed around the world began after the end of the Second World War, when demobilized soldiers took these small dogs to their homeland. Thus, the terrier also got to the States. There representatives quickly gained popularity, and dog-breeding clubs of silky terriers began to open all over the country.
What does a thoroughbred dog look like?
According to the approved standards, the breed representatives must meet the following criteria:
- The head is absolutely proportional to the size of the trunk, with a flat forehead, which is longer than the bridge of the nose; there is a pronounced transition from forehead to nose.
- Ears have an average landing, triangular, standing, with pointed tips. Ear cartilage is quite elastic. The ears are covered with a soft fur coat, there is no fur inside. There are individuals with bent ears, which goes beyond the standard.
- Nose is the lobe of these black terriers.
- Teeth - even, small, white, bite by the type of scissors, lips have a clear stroke.
- Eyes - small, rounded, iris of dark color. The silk's look is alive, at times somewhat guarded.
- The dog's body is elongated, strong. The back is flat, moderately wide; The sternum is of medium size, the edges are round in shape. Neck with moderate bends.
- Paws smooth, strong, with rounded, collected pads and black claws. Elbow and shoulder joints are harmoniously arranged. Disadvantages are any changes in their slope.
- The tail if stopped, then has a straight vertical position, in case of a natural size only the lower vertebrae are in the same position, the rest slightly bend towards the back. In both cases, the tail is covered with short hair, if there is a decorating hair, then this is the vice of the individual.
- The wool is elongated, soft and silky, its length can reach 15 cm. It covers the dog's torso from the croup of the animal to the nape of the neck; has a blue tint, the color becomes more saturated closer to the tail of the dog. Possible pale marks in the area of the paws and under the tail. According to breed standards, falling fur on the muzzle is considered undesirable.
Externally, Australian terriers are very similar to Yorkshire, but the most obvious difference is the bluish and soft coat. The weight of a dog of this breed can vary between 3.5-4.5 kg.
Characteristics of the character
These little dogs have a cheerful disposition, vigor and increased activity. Running, jumping, playing with children - this is the favorite pastime of the snare terriers.
Also representatives of this breed is distinguished by excellent intelligence, a lively and sharp mind, curiosity. Silks can be good companions, but having a wayward character, they are not very easy to train. Dogs, in most cases, are strongly attached to the owners and love children.
When breeding breed breeders sought to get not so a pet as a hunter for small pests, a guard and a shepherd. And as a result, the silky Australian terrier, despite its small size, has an innate hunting instinct, is an open thunder of rats and other rodents. The pet fearlessly protects the territory entrusted to him and can look after small domestic cattle.
These little dogs of a decorative kind are quite cocky, and in case of what, they can stand not only for themselves, but also for their beloved host. In contact with a person, the silk-terriers show obedience and obedience. They have a balanced temperament, like to patch up, but they can show restraint.
Bribes their excellent fitness for maintenance in the apartment, and the small size allows you to start this pet and in small areas. But a stormy temperament can bring inconveniences - a dog, especially a young individual, often begins to run and jump from the early morning, despite the protests of the household.
To avoid problems, it is necessary to provide the dog with long walks, active training, so that the silky terrier lacks energy on the prank.
Care for the representatives of this breed
As already noted above, walks - long, with games and jogs, that's what an active silky terrier needs. The ideal place for them is a forest zone or a park.
Daily hygienic care includes the following necessary measures:
- Daily attention should be paid to the condition of the pupil's eyes, teeth, and ears;
- if necessary, the eyes and ears should be treated with a cotton disc moistened in boiled water;
- Periodically it is necessary to prun claws .
Wool is a separate article in the care of the Australian silky terrier. Wool can look chic if you follow all the measures and take care of its appearance. To do this, you need to remove 10-15 minutes per day for the procedure of combing. For these purposes, it is more convenient to use a massage brush.
The structure of the wool makes it prone to be knocked down in the coils. Therefore it is necessary to untangle them manually every day, but do not try to comb out or cut them. After the procedure, you can make a pet hairstyle, collecting a bundle of hair, covering the eyes.
As for water procedures, then everything is very simple - the representatives of this breed love water and bathing, besides these activities are only for the benefit of the dog. Therefore, you can swim terrier silk as many times as you like. Use for washing better special means, and after bathing the dog must be dried with a towel and a hair dryer. Knowing the propensity of this breed to various kinds of colds , it is necessary to take care that the pet does not get sick during the bath and after.
Eating an Australian pet can both natural food, and balanced ready-made feed. In the first case, the pet's diet can be supplemented with vitamin supplements , but only after consultation with a veterinarian. The lack of useful substances leads to joint dysplasia . Regular visits to the doctor for vaccination and preventive examination will help maintain the health of the pet in the norm and prevent the development of diseases.
Photo of Australian silky terriers
Video about the terrier
How much does the puppy cost and where to buy it
In our country, and even more so in provincial cities, it is rare to find dogs of this breed. Therefore, the purchase of a pedigree pet can become problematic. The easiest way is to purchase a dog of this breed at exhibitions or on an ad.
You need to be prepared for the fact that some unscrupulous breeders give out puppies of Yorkshire terriers for Australian silky. Therefore, it is better to learn in advance all the qualities of a dog.
If a suitable bidder is found, then you can agree on the price of the Australian silky terrier. By the way, she can scare even the seasoned dog breeder, since the puppy costs 1000 dollars and more. Most likely, the cost is associated with the unusual appearance of the dog and its rarity.