Owners are sure - it's hard to find a more affectionate, friendly, elegant dog. The English setter is a true aristocrat, but by no means a "sissy", the dog has excellent hunter instincts and increased capacity for work. He is cheerful, merry, but does not impose his society, sensitively feeling the mood of the owner. A dog of this breed is advised to start both hunters and people who lead an active lifestyle. Such a four-legged friend will follow the owner in the fire and water, will be able to overcome any difficulties and at any time will be there.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы английский сеттер 2. Description of breed English Setter
- Характер 3. Character
- Воспитание и обучение английского сеттера 4. Education and training of the English setter
- Как ухаживать за собакой 5. How to care for a dog
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Как и чем кормить сеттера 7. How and what to feed the setter
- Условия содержания собаки 8. Conditions of keeping the dog
- Фото английского сеттера 9. Photos of the English Setter
- Видео об английском сеттере 10. Video about the English Setter
- Приобретение щенка английского сеттера 11. Acquisition of an English Setter puppy
Origin of the breed
The ancestors of the English setters are the large spaniels that were brought into the UK from Spain. Initially, the breed was called "setting-spaniel", which is due to their ability to take a stand during work. But then the setters were not subdivided into species.
Subsequently, work was carried out to improve the hunting qualities of these dogs, they were infused with the blood of a greyhound, a hound, a retriever, a pointer. The name of the breed was shortened to a "setter", and based on the main colors, they were divided into several types. So there were English, Scottish and Irish setters.
For the first time setters, as separate separate breeds, participated in the Birmingham exhibition in 1860. The English representatives were then called "Leveraks" in honor of the breeder who is improving this breed.
Description of breed English Setter
A dog of this breed is a proportional, beautiful animal possessing developed hunting skills. Already at 4 months old the puppy starts to stand up in a rack, having seen any bird, though he does not yet fully understand why. He stretches himself into a string and falls to the ground. Everything happens on an instinctive level.
The English Setter's body is covered with a luxurious coat protecting the skin from external influences. Dogs have a clearly expressed sexual type, males are much larger and more manly, and females are more elegant and aristocratic.
The growth of males is 65-69 cm, weight - from 25 to 36 kg, females weigh from 20 to 32 kg, with growth of 61-65 cm. In the standard there are special instructions - at an average physique the dog should not look refined, it is clear that this is a strong and hardy animal.
Individuals, in accordance with generally accepted standard data, are described as follows:
- The head is proportional to the trunk, with an outstretched, dry muzzle, the foot is well pronounced. The forehead is wide, oval, with a neat, convex nape. The nose is smooth, the mouth is rectangular, the jaws are slightly narrower than the head.
- The dog has prominent cheekbones, well-defined eye sockets and cheeks, there are no wrinkles on the muzzle. Lips are medium, upper is above the lower one.
- Teeth strong, complete, with a scissor bite, but if the individual is over 7 years of age, he changes on a straight line, then this is not attributed to vices. If the dentition is broken, then this is a serious drawback.
- Nose is wide, with wide, well-opened nostrils, intensely pigmented with black or dark brown color.
- The eyes are widely distributed, planted deep, round in shape, small in size. The color of the iris is of any brown tone, but saturated shades are preferred. The dog looks calmly, thoughtfully, a lively shine in his eyes.
- Ears - located at eye level or lower. They are rounded, not triangular. They hang on thin, soft cartilage. If they are too long and get to the nose, then this is a blemish. Outside, the ears are covered with elongated hair, which is an ornament.
- Dogs have a flexible, beautiful, well-muscled neck, thickening to the shoulders. The back line is straight, there is an elegant bend in the area of the transition to the scapula and croup.
- The sternum is moderately broad, of decent depth, in young individuals it can have a dry structure, but by the age of 3, it has a pronounced, developed musculature.
- The ribs are elongated, they are flexible, the inguinal line and abdomen are tightened. The croup is flattened, broad, with a smooth, unbroken transition to the paws.
- The limbs are straight, with flexibility and springiness. The dog moves smoothly, gracefully. The extremities parallel to the body are located elbows and strong, slightly elongated thighs. When the setter takes a stand, the hind legs are pulled back.
- Brushes rounded, collected, shaped like a "vault," with rounded fingers and strong, short claws. The area between the fingers is covered with straight hair.
- The tail is a harmonious continuation of the back, smoothly thins toward the end. In the lowered state he takes out to the hock joint.
Wool quality and possible colors
A luxurious, long coat in dogs develops only to 2-3 years. In an adult setter, it is wavy, elongated in the region of the keel, tail, ears and inguinal line. Representatives of this breed are not sheared. The only thing that is allowed is cutting off the overgrown hair between the fingers to make the brushes look more neat.
The main color of the coat is white, and it contains specks, swabs, specks of black, orange or brown hues. There are English setters and with a tri-color color, in this case the white background covers black spots, speckles or smears, but in addition there is a brown color in the area of the muzzle, brow ridges and extremities.
Black, red and brown wool can be, as a saturated tone, and poorly expressed. Almost white dogs are rare.
Thanks to friendliness, the English setter is considered an excellent option for families with children. This is an absolute non-conflict dog, which gets along very well with cousins, cats, but smaller animals can cause "professional interest" in it.
Pet does not bother and does not fight for territory. He is tactful, it is enough to lie at the feet of the owner, without imposing. Setters are rather silent dogs that bark rarely, mostly by meeting family members. A disgruntled dog expresses his mood with a grunt.
Despite the benevolence and trustfulness, the dog chooses one master and is devoted to him throughout his life. The dog does not show aggression to strangers and meets the visitors with curiosity. Setter is an excellent hunter, while in work, he can forget about sleep and food. His sharp sense of smell girlfriend dog was appreciated by hunters all over the world.
Representatives of the breed are sociable animals, they quickly get used to unfamiliar people and other four-footed. This quality allows you to use them for hunting in a team with other dogs. English setter does not allow its owner to miss, he loves to play, to travel, with pleasure will go on a hiking trip or on a morning run.
The education and training of the English Setter
The pet is very smart, able to quickly learn new skills, and, enjoying the training process. With a pet you can do from the first days of his appearance in the house, even a small puppy understands what the master requires of him. And the sooner he learns the basic program, the better.
The owners say that the setters have such a clever, intelligent view that it's not surprising that they understand the team with a half-word. The memory of these hunters is excellent, and if the dog is encouraged, then he will try at all. In adolescence, a pet is able to show stubbornness, in this case the owner needs to be punished - he will for a long time remember the negative experience and will not repeat.
In no case, you can not beat or kick a dog, just raise your voice. Nataska setters are conducted in the same way as other cops, after the puppies have mastered the mandatory commands. Initially, pets at home accustom to a number of skills, for example, respond, port, respond to gestures and stuff. An experienced hunter is able to teach his four-legged friend on his own.
How to care for a dog
The English setter has a long, silky, shiny coat that requires additional care. It must be regularly combed using a special brush made of rubber or silicone. After cleaning, wool is wiped with a damp cloth, removing accumulated dirt.
To maintain a good wool structure, it is sometimes trimmed in the area of the hanging, abdomen and on the paws. Full haircut can greatly spoil the pet's coat. Wash the pet 1-2 times a month, using a special shampoo and balm, suitable for this type of wool. Lines of dogs of this breed are subject to weak, 1 less often 2 times a year. Their hair does not pour out in shreds and does not settle on carpeting and furniture.
Setters have long, hanging ears, they must be constantly inspected for inflammation and parasites. They are regularly cleaned, removing excess sulfur and dirt with cotton wool soaked in boric alcohol. If this is not done, then the risks of development of otitis and other infectious and inflammatory processes are great.
It is necessary to trim the claws of a puppy with a nail clipper if they are not stitched naturally. Eyes also need to be periodically inspected for infections and washed.
We should not forget about the timely de-worming of the pet, treatment from external parasites and timely vaccination.
All setters, including English, are lucky owners of good health. But the selection still led to the fact that dogs have some hereditary pathologies:
- Atopy (dermatological allergic disease);
- dysplasia of the hip joint (in the representatives of this breed this pathology develops more often than in other breeds);
- congenital deafness;
- pathologies caused by a violation of the concentration of lysosomes;
- retinal atrophy.
Most hereditary diseases are not completely cured. Avoid them only in one case - by purchasing a puppy from a bona fide breeder.
Setters are prone to eye diseases - it is recommended to seek advice from a veterinarian at the first warning signs.
If the pet is taken care of properly, then he can live 14-15 years. But, unfortunately, usually this period is not more than 11-12 years.
How and what to feed the setter
You can not call "Englishmen" gluttons, the dog is able to move away from the bowl when it has a feeling of saturation. They drink a lot of setters, it is important that the pet has round the clock access to clean drinking water.
Feed the dog can be both natural food, and ready-made dry diets. Only with the second type of nutrition is recommended to supplement the pet with useful products - lean meat, sea fish, eggs, pieces of fresh vegetables and fruits.
With natural feeding, the dog needs to give daily meat - at least 60% of the total diet, 1-2 times a week it can be replaced with boiled by-products or fish. It is recommended to cook porridge - buckwheat or rice, on broth or water, add vegetable oil, greens, vegetables, pieces of meat.
Choosing a natural type of feeding, the dog should be given supplements containing vitamins and minerals, for example, bone meal, crushed egg shell. It is advisable to consult a veterinarian who will recommend special complexes.
You can not give the pet food from your own table, it not only affects the animal's health, but also its behavior - the dog can start stealing food. Not suitable for him the following products: smoked products, confectionery, potatoes, buns.
Conditions for keeping a dog
As already mentioned, the setter can be an excellent assistant to a hunter and act as a family dog. Naturally, in any case it must be provided with the necessary physical loads. Walk the pet enough 2 times a day. If on weekdays the host does not have enough free time for long promenades, on a day off, he must compensate with active games, on site.
Such a dog is suitable for living in an apartment, a country house is also suitable. But it is not intended for street maintenance. Spacious home territory is an excellent option for such a restless dog. In this case, the dog can walk for a long period of time.
Photos of the English Setter
Video about the English setter
Acquisition of the English Setter puppy
In Russia, English Setters are not very common, their Irish counterparts are more common, but in large cities there are nurseries that breed this breed. In the Russian capital there is a nursery that allows you to buy a pureblood puppy "Pearls of Wales" http://pw.setter.dog/%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BA%D1 % 82% D1% 8B.html.
But those who want to buy a puppy have a choice, you can always find sellers on the Internet - casual or private breeders. Naturally, there are high risks of acquiring a non-thoroughbred or unhealthy baby. Therefore, experts recommend more serious approach to this issue.
The average cost of puppies of the English setter is 25,000-30000 rubles, but these figures are very arbitrary. For example, this is quite a normal price for private traders, in the nursery it is much higher. An elite puppy who comes from a famous nursery and possesses all the qualities of a future champion will cost about 75,000-80000 rubles and even more.
The English setter is a positive, cheerful and devoted pet who needs a benevolent attitude, love and active pastime. The dog is so positive that it falls in love with itself from the first minute of acquaintance.