More and more new breeds appear every year in modern dog breeding. However, this does not prevent to remain at the peak of popularity of dogs, whose history has more than one century. And this category includes one of the oldest breeds - Alaskan Malamute. Beautiful, powerful, proud - these are all they, the northern handsome men, who can not leave anyone indifferent. What is known about this breed today?
- Происхождение породы аляскинский маламут 1. Origin of the Alaskan Malamute
- Описательная характеристика породы аляскинский маламут 2. Descriptive characteristics of the breed Alaskan Malamute
- Характер аляскинских маламутов 3. The nature of the Alaskan Malamutes
- Уход за аляскинским маламутом 4. Caring for the Alaskan Malamute
- Фото аляскинского маламута 5. Photo of the Alaskan Malamute
- Видео 6. Videos
- Сколько стоят породистые щенки-маламуты 7. How much are thoroughbred malachute puppies?
Origin of the Alaskan Malamute
It is not known for sure when the Alaskan Malamute breed appeared, but its ancestors were the pets of the Malemute tribe that inhabited the coasts of Alaska. They were powerful, hardy animals, covered with a thick and dense woolly covering. They were used in rather severe climate conditions for driving and moving heavy loads.
At the beginning of the twentieth century, the period of the "gold rush" fell, which could not but affect the development and distribution of Alaskan malamutes. After all, it was possible to reach rich deposits only on the sledges of these powerful dogs. A lot of gold prospectors wanted to get such a "transport" in their use, which significantly influenced the number of this breed.
But this phenomenon had the downside as well - people who hungered for untold wealth, tried to cross malamutes with other breeds to get an even more hardy, fast and unpretentious dog. Such activity led to the fact that purebred individuals remained very little.
But the "gold rush" was replaced by sports, and gamblers in sled racing began to revive the purebred northern breed, investing huge amounts of money into this process. After all, it was possible to win only with purebred malamutes.
Only by the 20-ies of the last millennium it was possible not only to stop the disappearance of this breed, but also to increase their population. Then the process of breeding Alaskan malamutes rose to a professional level. In 10 years, this breed has received world recognition, a special club has appeared and the standard has been defined.
However, during the war period there was a significant extermination of malamutes, which led to a reduction in the number of not more than 30 individuals. After the war was over, "titanic" work was carried out to restore the Alaskan malamutes, and by the 1960s there had been no talk of their disappearance. In the modern world, these dogs are among the twenty most popular and in demand breeds in the world, and already in 2010 they became a symbol of the state of Alaska.
Description of the breed Alaskan Malamute
To date, there are two types of Alaskan malamute - M-Lut and Kotzebue. The first type differs more powerful skeleton, large dimensions, mobility and aggression. You can meet dogs of this species of a variety of colors - from black and gray, to silvery-blue in combination with white. Kotzebue, in spite of the obligatory presence of the wolf color, is inferior in size and has a more flexible character.
Modern breeders to this day do not cease to argue, what kind of breed is real, but it is worth remembering that thanks to nature these proud and beautiful pets have emerged.
According to the standard, Alaskan malamutes must meet the following requirements:
- The dog must have a strong bone structure, strong physique , deep chest. But, despite this, her torso should be compact.
- The coat of malamutes must be hard outside, and inside the body is covered with a soft undercoat. This phenomenon is due to the origin of the dog. In addition, wool is covered with moisture-proof grease.
- The growth of males varies within the range from 60 to 63 cm, females within - 57-59 cm.
- The body weight of pets should not be less than 35 kg, but not more than 38 kg.
- The head of the dog is wide, proportional to the body.
- The muzzle at malamute enough volumetric, it is inadmissible its sharpening or elongation.
- The ears of the animal are triangular, with rounded ends, standing, have a wide setting.
- The jaws of the dog are impressive, with large sharp teeth.
- Lips must necessarily fit.
- Bite malamutes as a scissors.
- The eyes are small, almond-shaped, slightly slanting, the iris is brown, in this breed the blue eyes are considered a serious blemish.
- The nose of the pet is predominantly black, only in dogs of red color, it can be brown.
- To become malicious for envy - the back is straight, the loin is covered with elastic muscles, the chest is wide.
- The tail is naturally contorted and even in a calm state rises above the back.
- Paws differ in power and resemble bearish.
The life cycle of malamutes on average is 13-15 years. The females most often bring litters with 5-6 puppies of the Alaskan malamute.
The nature of the Alaskan Malamutes
Malamutes are distinguished by a high degree of friendliness and excessive kindness. They are not alone at all, and need close, trusting relations with the dog pack or the human family. They are great for large families with young children. These dogs know a lot about children's games and can always play the role of caring nannies.
Representatives of this breed have the property of becoming attached to their owners, but they constantly need to be reminded that they are important and necessary members of the family. Despite all attachment, these pets just need freedom. A closed aviary and constant solitude can adversely affect the nature of the pet, it can lose trust and respect for the owner.
By their nature malamutes do not belong to those dogs who are ready, in spite of everything, to serve only one master. Once a person ceases to be an authority for a pet, the dog immediately begins to be interested in other people. Call it treachery in no way, because such behavior is associated with natural stubbornness and high intelligence. These four-legged friends can easily tire out monotonous actions. If they are forced to bring slippers a hundred times a day, the dog can interpret this as a disrespectful attitude and remember for a long time.
Such peculiarities of the character make it possible to conclude that the Alaskan Malamute is a dog exclusively for experienced dog breeders who are versed in the breed.
Stubborn character is also a stumbling block in the training process, although their lively and sharp mind allows you to understand and memorize absolutely all the commands from the first time. They can even execute them and repeat them, but no more than twice. Then the interest of dogs to this action disappears, and they can completely abandon further training.
If a person suddenly had an idea to buy a malamute as a guard (dogs are still of impressive size and serious appearance), then this idea will not work. Representatives of the breed are very kind to all those who do not show obvious aggression towards them and family members.
Malamute can become an evil dog, but only because of the circumstances - after the psychological trauma received in childhood, improper education, cruel attitude on the part of people and other reasons capable of enraging this peace-loving animal.
Caring for the Alaskan Malamute
Problems with washing the pet does not arise, because these dogs just love to swim. The main thing in bathing is to remove all the detergents from the thick wool. That after the procedures the wool looked smooth and well-groomed, it must be dried and combed simultaneously.
During moulting, combing down is an obligatory procedure, otherwise the pet may have collapses, and the flat will fly down, not worse than poplar.
The dog's claws need regular mowing, the eyes are rubbed every 5-7 days. Ears should be cleaned once a month.
As for living, an ideal place for a comfortable life will be a country house or a summer residence. In the apartment Alaskan Malamute will be very crowded and uncomfortable. But only care must be taken that the pet can not make a dig and escape.
Also read about what to feed the Alaskan Malamute .
Photo of the Alaskan Malamute
Take a look at these wonderful photos of the Alaskan Malamute.
We recommend watching a video about Alaskan Malamute.
How much are thoroughbred malachute puppies?
Of course, acquiring a pet is better for experienced breeders, but not everyone can afford such a "pleasure". Approximate prices for puppies of Alaskan Malamute look as follows:
- For 10000-12000 rubles you can buy a puppy of the Alaskan malamute, which does not have a pedigree;
- In the area of 15000-30000 there are puppies with a pedigree.
- Above 30000 is an elite offspring from parents-champions.
At purchase it is necessary to familiarize with the available documents, to examine the puppy (he should be active and cheerful), and to estimate, whether he is sick and whether his behavior is adequate. If possible, it is advisable to look at the parents of the future champion. Malamute from Alaska is an ideal choice as a pet.