Allergy to dogs is not just a manifestation of unpleasant symptoms, but also a rather dangerous situation. Usually it occurs when a new four-footed friend appears in the house, which leads to the next parting with him. How does the disease manifest and whether there are dogs that do not cause allergies?
- Основные симптомы аллергии на собак 1. The main symptoms of allergy to dogs
- Лечение аллергии на собак 2. Treatment of allergies to dogs
- Аллергия на собак у детей 3. Allergies to dogs in children
- Как выбрать гипоаллергенного питомца 4. How to choose a hypoallergenic pet
- Гипоаллергенные породы собак 5. Hypoallergenic breeds of dogs
The main symptoms of allergy to dogs
Having discovered signs of an allergy to dogs, people, first of all, start to think that the reason is their four-legged pet. But experts do not recommend hurry to conclusions, and even more so try to get rid of the dog as soon as the symptoms of an allergic reaction to the hair are no different from the effects of other allergens:
- develops rhinitis, swollen nasal mucosa;
- there is hyperemia (redness) of the skin, spots of urticaria are formed, signs of dermatitis;
- difficulty breathing, swelling in the throat;
- there is lacrimation, it is possible the development of an allergic inflammation of the conjunctiva, the eyes turn red.
It is worth paying attention when symptoms have appeared. If immediately after talking with the animal, then, most likely, it is an allergy to dogs. However, there are situations when the source of the disease is not so easy to find out. For example, if the signs appeared some time after contact with the dog, or their guilt is not at all an animal.
Most often, an allergy occurs immediately after the owner's contact with the pet, but there are cases when it occurs even when the person is in the same room with the animal. Naturally, such situations somewhat complicate the definition of the source of the disease. And, besides, not all dogs can trigger allergies, but only representatives of some breeds.
If the symptoms of ailment are associated with constant communication with the pet, then it is enough to give it for a while and to assess whether there is improvement in the condition or not. Are the symptoms gone? So, it's still in the dog.
If nevertheless more precise diagnostics are required, then it is necessary to seek advice from an allergist. To identify the allergen, the expert suggests passing a series of tests - skin and blood samples for a radioallergenosorbent test. Studies also help to confirm or disprove a person's confidence that the disease is provoked by a dog. Sometimes the results indicate that the pollen of plants, moldy mushrooms or street dust, which the animal can bring to the house from the street, rather than its wool, acts as an allergen.
Treatment of allergies to dogs
What to do if you are allergic to dogs? In most cases, the therapy is to remove the signs of the disease. In this regard, the expert appoints a number of drugs that are used to treat allergic manifestations caused by almost any allergen:
- Means with antihistamine action that block the action of the allergen - Suprastin, Zirtek, Erius, Claritin, etc.
- Drugs with a pronounced anti-edematous effect (Sudafed, etc.)
- Corticosteroids - are available in the form of aerosols for intranasal use.
- Vasoconstrictors are used at the first sign of an allergy to eliminate swelling of the nasal passages.
In some cases, the doctor may prescribe a course of allergy shots, but they are not always effective and able to cope with the symptoms. To improve the immune system of the patient, it is possible to administer immunostimulants. This group of drugs includes the following drugs: Apilak, Kagocel, Timogen, Imudon. Imunnal et al.
Doctors warn that it is not necessary to ignore allergic manifestations, since without treatment the acute allergy passes into a chronic form. It is not necessary to start four-legged pets with people suffering from such a disease as bronchial asthma, since the majority of patients with this diagnosis show symptoms of allergy to pets. Communication with a pet can lead to an exacerbation of the disease, including dangerous attacks of suffocation.
Allergies to dogs in children
Most often the children's organism reacts almost immediately to the appearance of an allergen, in this case - the animal's fur. Sometimes 10-15 minutes of playing with a dog is enough to make the primary symptoms of the disease appear. The most allergic manifestations are affected by children under 5 years of age, and if the allergen is wool, the provocateurs of the disease can act not only its owners, but also things of wool.
Standard symptomatology in children differs somewhat from the manifestations of the disease in adults, it includes the following states:
- violation of respiratory function (it is difficult for a child to breathe);
- a rash appears on the skin, it turns red;
- the child begins to sneeze often;
- mucous membranes swell.
Serious attention deserves the situation when the allergy is treated with constant contact with the irritant, that is, the pet. However, as practice shows, it is the small patients who live with a dog in one house, more often than adults, get used to the allergen, and the negative reaction disappears.
Also, special attention is needed by infants, because they often have signs of allergy to wool. The most common sign of a disease in children is atopic dermatitis. The skin of the face is often affected, but during the progression of the disease the rash can cover other parts of the body. In addition, the allergy in infants can be accompanied by swelling of the larynx and mucous membrane.
How to choose a hypoallergenic pet
Numerous studies have confirmed the existence of hypoallergenic dog breeds (dogs that do not cause allergies), which rarely cause symptoms in people prone to it. First of all, their peculiarity is associated with less moulting, during which there is an abundant distribution of the allergen. In addition, they are less likely to cause dog allergy, in the salivary fluid of which there is a low protein content that causes allergy symptoms. And, of course, representatives of "slobbering" breeds are not suitable for the owner-allergic.
But among other things, it should be borne in mind that hypoallergenic rocks can still cause disease in certain people. In medicine, also recorded cases where two dogs of the same breed had different effects on human health. One dog provoked an aggravation of allergy, while the second did not cause such a negative reaction.
Since it is impossible to find out beforehand whether the pet will provoke an aggravation of the disease in an allergic person, it is necessary for a person to stay with the dog for a while, before the new member appears in the family. And if the body does not react to the proximity of a four-legged friend, you can think of taking a dog in the house.
If there is no such possibility, then it is necessary to agree in advance with the breeder about the probability of returning the puppy back, if his presence in the housing will affect the health of someone from the family. Choosing a hypoallergenic dog, you need to consider some points:
- It is worth giving preference to dogs that less fade . There is an opinion that animals with a long coat have a strong allergic reaction, however, this is not the case. The risks of exacerbation of the disease are higher if there is a dog with short hair in the dwelling, which constantly moults. In addition, the cleaning of short hair is quite difficult, and sometimes impossible task. In a house where an allergic person lives, it is better to take a dog of a modest size, since it will separate a smaller amount of hair from it than from a large animal.
- "Loud" pets are more likely to cause allergies. This observation is associated with the fact that when the dog bark strongly, it emits a lot of saliva containing allergens.
Hypoallergenic breeds of dogs
The American Kennel Club conducted a study, which resulted in a list of breeds, whose representatives are suitable as pets for allergy sufferers:
- bichon-frize - a small dog from the group of bolonok, originally from France. Does not need daily care for the coat, since it does not shed;
- Poodle - mainly decorative dogs, which also do not shed. There are 4 types of different sizes - large, small, dwarfish and toy poodle;
- york (fully called Yorkshire terriers) - tiny dogs with long hair, do not have undercoat;
- Irish soft-coated wheaten terrier - strong dogs with soft, silky hair without undercoat;
- schnauzers - a group of breeds includes Mittelschnauzer (medium-sized dog), miniature schnauzer (dwarf variety), Risenschnauzer (giant schnauzers). They are distinguished by a hard coat with a dense undercoat. Wool does not fall out on its own, therefore, regular plucking or trimming is required;
- Mexican naked dog (xoloitzcuintle) - dogs without wool, although in litters can be found individuals with wool. They rarely cause allergies and are odorless;
- Flanders Bouvier - large shepherd dogs, with a tough, dense hair and thick undercoat. Like Schnauzers, they require regular trimming and trimming;
- bedlington terrier - brave dogs, like lambs. They almost do not shed, but need a haircut 3-4 times a year;
- Bolognese - a small bolonka from Italy, like other breeds on this list, are not prone to molting. They should be combed daily, and you can cut them at will;
- Maltese - a kind of bishons with long, luxurious wool;
- American naked terrier - dogs without wool, but require skin care and special clothes;
- Chinese crested dog - naked individuals have hair on the head, tail tip and limbs, and downy are completely covered with hair, but do not have an undercoat;
- welsh-terrier (Welsh terrier) - has a tough, non-wool coat, a pet that is quite unpretentious in care;
- affenpinscher - an ancient breed that refers to dwarf pinschers;
- Dwarf pomeranian - includes several breed varieties - pomeranian, Japanese, German, bearish type. Small dogs with a very pretty appearance and fluffy fur.
When choosing a hypoallergenic pet, it should be borne in mind that if there is a person with an allergy to wool in the house, it is still necessary to limit the finding of the pet in the bedroom, and also to monitor the hygiene of the animal. Then the owners will be healthy, and the four-legged friend is happy.